Hello

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
laena

Hello

Post by laena »

Hello all,

I'm a computer science student with intermediate C++ skills and some experience with Qt. A friend told me you were looking for Qt people and since I've always wanted to do some fun open source hacking, I thought I'd give it a try. I can't tell how much time I'll actually have for this but I'm motivated :)

I have read the Developer First Steps Wiki page and am currently setting up my environment. Since I'm crippled without Visual Studio (yep I know that's sad) I'm trying to get everything to work under Windows. CMake works fine with some tweaks, but I'm getting compiler errors due to amgiuous calls to STL functions.
So I'm wondering: is anyone else primarily using Windows among the developers? Would you encourage me to fix the compiler errors, or not to use Windows?

Cheers
Laena
gus

Re: Hello

Post by gus »

You're not the only one using windows, but as we are few, there are sometimes some compatibilty problems.
So I would say, try to correct them. Most of the time it's because of minor incompatibility between linux and windows implementations of the STL. As most dev use linux, it's up to the first windows dev who merge master branch to correct it.
But if you're having trouble correcting them, or if you're not sure, simply post your errors ;)

Anyway, welcome! I'm sure Zini will find some (a lot of) work for you for the editor ;)
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Have a bit of tea and read through the Developers Checklist.

Welcome aboard Laena.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Welcome! And then starting of with a bit of nitpicking.
Most of the time it's because of minor incompatibility between linux and windows implementations of the STL
The standard library is the standard library. It is precisely defined and the cases where an ambiguity in the standard document can lead to incompatibilities are rare.

What we are experiencing here is usually one of two things:

1. The MSVC implementation of the standard is broken and rejects valid code.

2. Someone with gcc is using by accident a non-standard feature, of which gcc unfortunately has quite a few, and thus produces code that isn't standard conform and legitimately fails on MSVC.

Now that this is out of the way, back to topic.

We have a large number of Qt-related tasks on the current roadmap. Most of them are for the editor though. If you are comfortable with that, we have plenty of work for you.

I restarted the editor development a few weeks ago, because the original approach didn't work out well (and the original developer wasn't able/willing to invest enough time to push through with it anyway). Since then I have been going for functionality first, which left dozens of polishing and smaller fill-in tasks along the way.

If you want a smaller task this one might work for you:

Editor: Improve appearance of operations widget

If you want something bigger, you could try this one:

Editor: User Settings
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Ah, the next wave has arrived.

Welcome Laena, as we've been getting multiple windows devs lately there are some current treads about setting the environment for windows -> http://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1249

I hope you can easily find your way. Although it's all volunteer work and you're free to spend as much time as you want on the project it would be very helpful to update us whenever you'll be inactive for a while or just stop working on it.

I hope you enjoy your time here :).
laena

Post by laena »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I think I'll get started with the first task and then proceed to the other one.
But first, I need to get the code base running... Compilation takes a lot of time on my slow machine.

Cheers
Laena