Yet another application

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
potatoesmaster

Yet another application

Post by potatoesmaster »

Hello!

It has been a while since I have thought about joining your team. Finally, here is my application!

My name is Emanuel. I am an IT student (in second year of master degree).

Morrowind is a game for which I have a smile when I think back to the time spent playing it. I first read about OpenMW approximately a year ago at http://freegamer.blogspot.com.

I am quite proficient in Java, a little less in C and I have basic knowledge of C++. I want to invest myself in OpenMW to have practical experience and thus improve my programming skills and knowledge.

I would like to work on making the game more "keyboard friendly" in GUI mode. For example, being able to close containers either with a click or with a key press would be nice. This may be used to make the game playable with a gamepad, too.

I know this is not something important for now. I can try to pick up something on the tracker if you prefer. ;)
Zini

Re: Yet another application

Post by Zini »

Welcome!
I would like to work on making the game more "keyboard friendly" in GUI mode. For example, being able to close containers either with a click or with a key press would be nice. This may be used to make the game playable with a gamepad, too.
That is not something we can do at this point. At least not cleanly. Having a less strongly mouse-driven UI would be a nice post 1.0 feature though.

As usual, I direct you to the new developer checklist (see pinned thread).

You can have a task from the roadmap. There are still plenty to choose from. One of the bugs maybe (the list is awful long this time). Or maybe one of the editor tasks, if you have any experience with Qt.

Or this one:

Determine required ini fallback values and adjust the ini importer accordingly

Very important and not too demanding in terms of C++ (good understanding of the Morrowind.ini settings is important though, since we don't have much error margins here).
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Welcome Potatoesmaster, our current windows environment setup wiki page is somewhat outdated so you could be having a hard time. Wanher is working on it so it'll be helpful to check out this tread -> http://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1249

I hope you can easily find your way. Although it's all volunteer work and you're free to spend as much time as you want on the project it would be very helpful to update us whenever you'll be inactive for a while or just stop working on it.

I hope you enjoy your time here :).
potatoesmaster

Post by potatoesmaster »

Thanks!
Zedd wrote:our current windows environment setup wiki page is somewhat outdated so you could be having a hard time.
I use Linux (Archlinux), so it is not a problem for me.
I could do that, but I am a bit lost. Morrowind.ini has a lot of values, some not related to settings (e.g. translation of questions/answers used at character creation).
Will they be copied to openmw.cfg or to separated files?

Also I cannot figure out how the method mergeFallback behave in apps/mwiniimporter/importer.cpp.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I could do that, but I am a bit lost. Morrowind.ini has a lot of values, some not related to settings (e.g. translation of questions/answers used at character creation).
They all go to openmw.cfg.
Also I cannot figure out how the method mergeFallback behave in apps/mwiniimporter/importer.cpp.
From what I read it seems to be iterating over a list of fallback setting keys and then searches them in ini. If found, it iterates over all values with that key and adds them as fallback values to cfg.
potatoesmaster

Post by potatoesmaster »

That's it, I was thinking about fallback values as "hardcoded values in case they are not found in file".
Zini

Post by Zini »

That is actually correct, but maybe not in the sense you are thinking.

MW stores these values in the ini file. And that is a mistake. It forces developers of more ambitious mods to distribute an ini file alongside the esp or esm file.

We are going to fix this mistake. After OpenMW 1.0 we will add new records for these values (mostly GMSTs). New mods will have them. Morrowind.esm and old mods won't. Therefore OpenMW will inject these missing records during the esx load process and fetch values for them from the fallback settings in the openmw.cfg file.
potatoesmaster

Post by potatoesmaster »

I added fallback values to mwiniimporter (github).

A little clean up is needed, as I very probably added too much of them. I tried to localize where these value will be used. For some, I do not know if they will be of any use in OpenMW (fonts, mouse cursors, ui colors, movies). Also, will the sky rendering system be adapted to take into accounts more parameters coming from morrowind.ini?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

potatoesmaster wrote:Also, will the sky rendering system be adapted to take into accounts more parameters coming from morrowind.ini?
Ideally, yes.
Zini

Post by Zini »

We are definitely missing the LightAttenuation part. These values are currently hardcoded in OpenMW.

What about the Inventory section? I have no idea what these values are doing. We should find out and see if we need them.
Same about MenuStates.

Map section? I don't remember this feature (travel lines on the world map). Does it actually exist or are these values unused junk?

Not sure about the Water/PixelWater section. Can we use these values? @scrawl?

Font we definitely need. And FontColor too.

Not sure about Cursors. Are these texture names? If they are, then we need them.

Level Up: I know these messages are used in Skyrim, but I don't remember ever seeing one in MW. Is my memory playing tricks on me?