Hi everyone

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
bhoessen

Hi everyone

Post by bhoessen »

Hi!

First, let me present myself. First thing first, my name is Benoît. I'm a PhD student in computer science (for those interested, my subject is trying to solve the satisfaction problem in parallel). I'm working everyday with c++ to achieve high performances and I've been working for one of the leader global distributed center.

For the openmw project, I wouldn't have a lot of time (~2 hours/week). So, if you have any tiny task or if I can prepare work for other, I'm free ;-) For instance, one of the things I can try to do, is to improve the documentation in the code...

Ben'
ElderTroll

Re: Hi everyone

Post by ElderTroll »

Welcome! Documentation would be very helpful.
Zini

Post by Zini »

You should get started with the new developer checklist (link in the pinned thread). 2 hours a week are not a lot, but if you are consistent about it and stick with us for a while, you should still be able to get some work done. I suggest you pick a small to mid-size low priority task (I'll help you with picking once you are done with the checklist).
As for improving the code documentation, I am somewhat skeptical about that. We aren't in dire need of documentation improvements (even though there is certainly room for them) and since you haven't worked on OpenMW before you will have a hard time finding your way around in the code base well enough to actually improve the documentation (at least within a reasonable timescale).
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Welcome, hope you enjoy your time working on this project. Could you tell us how you first learned about OpenMW?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

welcome!
bhoessen

Post by bhoessen »

Zini wrote:You should get started with the new developer checklist (link in the pinned thread).
Done :)
Zini wrote:even though there is certainly room for them
A run on doxygen generates 5714 warnings :roll:
Zini wrote:2 hours a week are not a lot
Yes, I know. If you think this might not be enough (spending more time to coordinate me compared to the time I might spare the team), let me know, I would totally understand! I don't want to be a drag :?
Zini wrote:I suggest you pick a small to mid-size low priority task
Sure :)
Zedd wrote:Could you tell us how you first learned about OpenMW?
Hum... don't remember exactly. Either on reddit or rock paper shotgun I guess...
ElderTroll wrote:Welcome!
Zedd wrote:Welcome
sirherrbatka wrote:welcome!
Thanks!
raevol

Post by raevol »

bhoessen, master of the multi-quote. 8-)
Zini

Post by Zini »

A run on doxygen generates 5714 warnings
Matches my definition of
even though there is certainly room for them
well enough.

There are plenty of false positives of the type
warning: The following parameters of MWWorld::World::placeObject(const Ptr &object, float cursorX, float cursorY) are not documented:
We definitely do not require documentation on every single function parameter. Would be nice to disable this kind of warnings, but I don't know if Doxygen has a switch for that.

The rest is mostly typos. If that does not bore you to death, you can certainly have a go at fixing them.

We even have a task for that: https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/164