Application

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
Zeidrich

Application

Post by Zeidrich »

Hello!

I see a lot of activity with a bunch of people eager to help contribute to this project; that's encouraging! I am curious how everyone got directed to this site. Personally, I am working on my own hobby project, and I've been looking around at Daggerfall as a source of inspiration. Looking at Daggerfall development led me to DungeonHack, which had discussion on OpenMW, which led me here. It was actually the activity here that made me interested in contributing, there are a lot of dead or nearly dead projects out there, so it's really surprising to stumble across something that's had 3 people volunteer to contribute in under a week.

I am a moderate level hobbyist programmer, did CS in college, and the majority of my programming has been done in c or c++. I have taught myself to work in OpenGL, I respect the STL, but my own projects tend to be a bit too ambitious to be realistically completed, and they're typically just ways to explore concepts rather than serious goal-oriented works.

The reason I want to contribute to this project is to have an opportunity to work in a team. I don't really mind doing some of the less interesting work, because I've had lots of opportunities to make flashy systems on my own, what I've been missing is experience working with code that other people might need to read and understand, and to work under some structure that is imposed by some other folks that also have motivation to keep things going. This is in contrast to my own nebulous project ideals which are pretty feast or famine depending on how cool an idea is at the time, or how hard it is to pin down what exactly I want out of it.

I've read the policies and standards, and the developer's reference, and I'll be getting a build running tonight. Hopefully I can manage to make some sort of meaningful contribution.
WeirdSexy

Re: Application

Post by WeirdSexy »

Hello!

I can't help you with tasks or anything, I'm not a developer. Zini will probably stop by for that.

Anyway, yes it's really good to see so many people pledging their time and skills. A lot of people are very much looking forward to this project being completed. My path to this site was not as indirect as yours. I know that I learned about the project about a year ago through the Bethesda forums, presumably in the Morrowind Mods section. I don't remember if I saw one of the official OpenMW threads or if I just saw discussion of it in another thread. In either case, I was very impressed as started lurking these forums. Now I'm the guy that makes the release videos :)

Anyway, let me be the first to welcome you here!
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Welcome! As with weirdsexy, I am not a developer, but if you have the capability to implement some of the skills due for version 0.18.0 then that would be great. It would be nice if some developers took specialties like our developers chris and jhooks1 who have worked extensively on animations and physics. I'm sure zini will have some input.

zini offered this task to another new developer, but he took a different task so it's open: http://bugs.openmw.org/issues/369
Zini

Post by Zini »

It was actually the activity here that made me interested in contributing, there are a lot of dead or nearly dead projects out there, so it's really surprising to stumble across something that's had 3 people volunteer to contribute in under a week.
Yeah, that is weird. Developers seem to come in waves. Often we get several within a week or two and then nothing for the next couple of weeks. One might think that the releases bring in new people, but the dates don't quite match. Doesn't make my life any easier ;)

Anyway, welcome.

If you feel up to it, there is this task:

Static OGRE build faulty

Pretty small, but of high priority. Needs to be finished within a week, since it is a blocker and we will have a new release soon.

But you could also try one of these instead:

* Add a FailedAction
* Dummy AI package classes
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

hello there!
Zeidrich

Post by Zeidrich »

Got a working build yesterday, and getting more familiar with the environment. I'll take a look at the static linking this weekend but I wont assign it to myself unless I'm pretty confident I can actually get it working in the next couple of days. My goal is to contribute, not to waste more of someone else's time correcting or guiding me than it would take them to fix the issue themselves.

Anything issue-specific I'll post on the tracker or the dev forum, I popped back here to say I'm still around.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Sorry, someone else took the static build issue in between. The other two tasks are still open. If you don't like them I can try to find you a different one.
Zeidrich

Post by Zeidrich »

I can take a look at the dummy packages.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Okay.