Motto

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
ElderTroll

Motto

Post by ElderTroll »

Do you think OpenMW needs a motto? I know motto's are often disingenuous, but they are catchy and trigger emotional reactions from people. I can't find anything that's untrue or deceptive about this for our project;

OpenMW: Contribute, Collaborate, Quest

I think it highlights some of the main aspects of the project. The order of words is based on the reality of project's current state, i.e. people need to contribute and collaborate before we can play the whole game. It's also got a nice alliteration (or close enough).

I thought about including the word "free", but that's not true because people will need to buy Morrowind. Eventually someone will make a total conversion using OpenMW, but that's outside the scope of our work. Here are some other candidates:

OpenMW: Collaborate, Modify, and Quest

OpenMW: Freedom to Alter, Refine, Contribute and Quest

What are you thoughts? Any suggestions?
Greendogo

Re: Motto

Post by Greendogo »

I'm not big on mottos, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Liberate, Collaborate, Create

I just wanted to throw in Liberate, since we are essentially liberating Morrowind and related mods from the restrictions of the original engine. I also like "Explore", since we explore the limits of our own creativity, as well as the worlds created in the engine.

I also don't think it's necessary to stick to the pattern of:
"Word1, Word2, Word3."

I think some of the best mottos could be something that is a pretty natural statement about the project. Perhaps something we've already said would fit, or something that we haven't said yet.

Also, I'd like to reiterate that I'm not big on mottos... Actually, I might even go so far as to say that I don't think OpenMW is ready for a motto. Not until it's earned it.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

I think mottos are rediculous. Sometimes they are catchy, but most often they are rediculous.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Yes, I really do agree with Tarius.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

I understand the points you made Greendogo. I would say that OpenMW, by the sheer fact of still existing, deserves credit. Mottos are hokey, but fun to come up with.

OpenMW: The open engine for open worlds. Explore.

The preceding motto would be introduced when the game is more playable.

Some amount of branding has taken place (logo, webpage design, mission statements, etc) and will continue to in order to increase awareness of the project. I hope OpenMW becomes as popular as Battle for Wesnoth.

I'd like to hear other perspectives and possible mottos. Facetious and sarcastic responses are welcome.
Last edited by ElderTroll on 15 Aug 2012, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I agree that they are fun to come up with.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

You are THAT bored? :P
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

haha... I prefer to believe it's a coincidence that I had the day off today. Thank you very much!
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

I don't think the project needs a motto, but this one
ElderTroll wrote: OpenMW: The open engine for open worlds. Explore.
minus the "Explore" sounds pretty good and explains exactly what the project is about in six words.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

HiPhish wrote:I don't think the project needs a motto, but this one
ElderTroll wrote: OpenMW: The open engine for open worlds. Explore.
minus the "Explore" sounds pretty good and explains exactly what the project is about in six words.
I agree with HiPhish, this one sounds good :)