Downtime

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Greendogo

Re: Downtime

Post by Greendogo »

Well that's disappointing, though I'm sure the fanfare it's been given isn't for nothing. I hope the rest of your setup goes smoothly and quickly, and that you find something to be impressed at.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Maybe It's time to give KDE a try? It's more traditional then GNOME3 unity/shell, more stable, easier to configure, has nice applications like dolphin, kate, krusader and there is no problem with running firefox (you can have even KDE file picker in Firefox), claws-mail (yes, you can have a KDE file picker)...
Zini

Post by Zini »

It's been a while since I used KDE, but last time I utterly hated it. Somehow feels more Windows-like than Windows ever did.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

It can be easily configurated, by default it looks and behaves like windows and honestly I don't think that this is a bad idea for a DE for all users.

My only problem with KDE that I can't ignore or solve is the fact that applications tends to look and behave in different way (on the KDE 3.5 it was even worse).
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I just 'deal' with Unity... I've tamed it enough so that it behaves how I want and does not get in the way of my workflow. The only thing I do not like is that it eats up CPU time just as badly as Gnome3 so battery life is hurt as a result. XFCE is very laptop friendly but about as useful as OpenStep ;)

Gnome2 was just good at what it did, I wish the people of MATE success but I doubt it will keep developers.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Don't know about MATE. There is obvously demand for a GNOME 2 like desktop. It might succedd after all. To be honest the changes in MATE that make it look more Windows-like are not that invasive and I have configured most of them away already. There are still some things (less commonly used features, I guess) that don't work properly. Not sure if it is a misconfiguration or MATE's fault.

Anyway, I am making some progress. The only things that still give me trouble are the window manager, the file manager, firefox and libreoffice. Everything else seems to work acceptably now.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Firefox is starting to piss me off. Not to mention that I lost tons of functionality and interface customization. But why did they remove the statusbar? Makes no sense.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

it's also not as stable as it used to be :(
raevol

Post by raevol »

I'm also "just dealing" with Unity. But I actually like it. It's not perfect, but it's better than most everything else.

XFCE was my first love though, and I still recommend it. I just got sick of all the tweaks I was having to do to a fresh Xubuntu install to get it the way I wanted it. With Unity, all I have to do is change the icon theme with Ubuntu tweak and get rid of workspaces with CCSM.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Back on duty. Sorry, that it took so long.

I don't exaggerate when I say that everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Murphy is victorious once again, it seems.

Firefox and the mate window manager still annoys me a great deal, the mate file manager is almost useful to me in its current state and I don't have a text editor that works in a satisfying way.

I could continue fiddling around with stuff, but I am getting tired of it and I wasted enough time already. So I will just take the resulting loss in productivity (and the increase in blood pressure).

I have started to work through the backlog. That will take a while though. If, in 24 hours from now on, there is still something I need to take care of (a pull request or a reply to a question), please send me a PM. With the amount of stuff that has piled up, it is quite possible that I am going to miss something.