OpenMW 0.17.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
WeirdSexy

Re: OpenMW 0.17.0

Post by WeirdSexy »

A few questions:

"Added support for dropping items"
Just the backend, right?

"Implemented skill gain"
This has to be done through the console, yes?

Is there any way to enable the player character's walking/running/jumping animations?

NPCs and Creatures now use Ogre's animation system, yes? Is there any huge benefit to this other than performance?

And I'm just curious on this one, but is there anything already in the works for smoothing out the way the character transitions between exterior cells? I'm assuming that everyone lags for a second or so during those transitions the way I do.
leobloom

Post by leobloom »

Another bug, alt-tabbing out off fullscreen openmw on windows causes the minimap to become black, the gui screens fully transparent and the pause menu invisible.
Zini

Post by Zini »

"Added support for dropping items"
Just the backend, right?
The description isn't totally correct. We had this feature before, but the implementation was a stopgap, that was only usable under certain conditions. Now it works for everything.
"Implemented skill gain"
This has to be done through the console, yes?
No. Not in use at all. Was planning to utilize it for ingredient usage (which slightly improves the alchemy skill), but the ingredient usage formula research wasn't finished in time.
Is there any way to enable the player character's walking/running/jumping animations?
Not really. That is a task on the 0.18.0 roadmap.
NPCs and Creatures now use Ogre's animation system, yes? Is there any huge benefit to this other than performance?
Cleaner code and better performance. I think that's it basically. jhooks/chris, please correct me, if I miss anything.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

leobloom wrote:Another bug, alt-tabbing out off fullscreen openmw on windows causes the minimap to become black, the gui screens fully transparent and the pause menu invisible.
I ran into this as well. Zini couldn't reproduce it, but I ran into this after messing around with the field of view and the resolutions. The menus immediately went 100% transparent, which you can fix by touching the transparency slider.

Turning on VSync kind of lets me see where the pause menu should be (it creates a faint transparent box lighter than the surrounding screen), so I can still hack my way back into the game, but the pause menu remains invisible until I restart the game.

edit: Just to be clear, the pause menu isn't fixed by touching the transparency slider, only all the other menu backgrounds.
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

Zini wrote:
Cleaner code and better performance. I think that's it basically. jhooks/chris, please correct me, if I miss anything.
In addition to better framerates while animations are on, the new system may yield slightly faster cell load times. With the old system for each NIF that contained a skeleton (some npc body parts;all creatures), we had to completely reload the resource even after it had been seen (was a hack to get things working). I have not actually done a comparison myself, so I am not sure how much of an improvement in this area this would be, or if it would be worth mentioning in a video.

The new animation system is extremely efficient, with 10 npcs animating at once the framerate maybe drops from 77 (no animation) to about 74 for me.
raevol

Post by raevol »

The OpenMW team is proud to announce the release of version 0.17.0! Release packages for Ubuntu are now available via our Launchpad PPA. Release packages for other platforms are available on our Download page. This version introduces a new player control system, potion usage, a Main Menu, and a multitude of fixes and improvements.

Known Issues:
Activating a bed can lock up the game

Changelog:
Fixes for physics shapes and dark textures
Fix for character normals
Fix for laggy input on OS X
Added support for objects crossing cell borders
Re-implemented dropping items
Implemented a Main Menu
Implemented Camera Modes and proper Player control
Added support for object rotation and scaling
Fix for NIF material sharing
Implemented potion usage
Implemented skill gain backend
Implemented Drain/Fortigy dynamic Stats/Attributes magic effects
Fix for various crashes and errors
Fixes for memory leaks
Various improvements for console scripts
Various code cleanup and improvements
Are we sure we're ready for release then? Has every package actually been opened and ran? I guess we don't have as many issues as we used to, now that we have a better build system, but I want to be sure! I should be able to put the packages up when I get home tonight if we are ready to go.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

Has the Mac crashing been fixed? I didn't see a second release candidate. For those who forgot, when trying to change my shadow texture size ingame to something larger the game crashed because my GPU didn't support that format. It would be better if there was some sort of error or if I couldn't even select that formate (I think the error would be a better idea)
corristo

Post by corristo »

This won't be fixed in 0.17 anyway, it's already tagged

Thanks for reporting, stay tuned
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

We've not created any 'official' Ubuntu packages yet for 0.17 yet...

are we ready for release then? If so... I'll have the build bot do it's magic.

As an aside, I think our RC period was too hasty. I had just created the RC1 builds when it was decided to release... woops?

Also, I have no idea where k1ll is, he usually creates the tar.gz releases.
Zini

Post by Zini »

are we ready for release then? If so... I'll have the build bot do it's magic.
I am not aware of any showstoppers or anything that could be fixed on short notice. So, I would say, yes.
As an aside, I think our RC period was too hasty. I had just created the RC1 builds when it was decided to release... woops?
Right. I completely missed that the Windows and OS X RC buidls were done two days before the Linux build. I was going by these and since there didn't seem to come anymore useful bug reports, I started the release process. Oops, indeed.