OpenMW 0.17.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW 0.17.0

Post by psi29a »

Ubuntu precise (dynamic built) builds:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/396161/openmw_0 ... 1_i386.deb
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/396161/openmw_0 ... _amd64.deb

What are some things we should be testing? :)
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

OK, one more remark. When I am activating the NPC or clicking the topic while saying with NPC, game freezes for around 5 seconds.
Zini

Post by Zini »

What are some things we should be testing?
That is hard to say, because most of the changes in 0.17.0 are of a low-level nature and could affect literally anything.
OK, one more remark. When I am activating the NPC or clicking the topic while saying with NPC, game freezes for around 5 seconds.
Any NPC? Or a specific one? It is possible that the dialogue of a NPC triggers loading of new cells. This would put the game a hold for a moment.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Any NPC? Or a specific one?
Any NPC. Tested in Seyda Neen and Balmora.

My hard/soft specs:

Code: Select all

CPU:   AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
RAM:   3GB
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Audio: M-Audio Firewire Solo
Zini

Post by Zini »

That is odd. Anything interesting in the logs? (standard console output and Ogre.log)
Necrod

Post by Necrod »

After changing shader options to off, from the in-game menu. I can change it back to glsl but water still looks like when shaders are off. Tried restarting the game and changing any other options, nothing worked.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

Kernel Panic on Mac OS X Mountain Lion: When I tried to change the texture size in the shadow settings ingame it crashed my entire Mac. If you don't know what a kernel panic is, it's pretty much like the blue screen of death and the only thing you can do is shut down the computer by force. Are there any logs I can post and where do I find them?

Two more things, I don't know if those qualify as bugs.
NPCs don't tell me their name, they just say something like "Hello, I'm %name, nice to mmet you", but their names do appear on top of the dilogue window.
Usin shaders hits performance and using water effects brings the performance down to about 10 FPS.

My hardware is an early 2009 iMac with Mac OS X 10.8.0
CPU: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9400 256 MB
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Anything interesting in the logs? (standard console output and Ogre.log)
Nothing at all. I see only messages like loading npc textures and wind sounds. I think, the engine simply searches in some big topic list (or something like this, I didn't see the code).
Last edited by Sadler on 20 Aug 2012, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
leobloom

Post by leobloom »

Necrod wrote:After changing shader options to off, from the in-game menu. I can change it back to glsl but water still looks like when shaders are off. Tried restarting the game and changing any other options, nothing worked.
I reported this to scrawl previously. It's not a bug, after disabling and then re-enabling shaders you have to turn on specific components (e.g. fancy water) under the appropriate tabs.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Kernel Panic on Mac OS X Mountain Lion: When I tried to change the texture size in the shadow settings ingame it crashed my entire Mac. If you don't know what a kernel panic is, it's pretty much like the blue screen of death and the only thing you can do is shut down the computer by force. Are there any logs I can post and where do I find them?
There isn't anything we can do about that. Userland software like OpenMW can't crash an OS. You are either having a faulty driver or faulty hardware.
I reported this to scrawl previously. It's not a bug, after disabling and then re-enabling shaders you have to turn on specific components (e.g. fancy water) under the appropriate tabs.
We should look into that eventually, because it is a bit unintuitive. But definitely not a bug.
NPCs don't tell me their name, they just say something like "Hello, I'm %name, nice to mmet you", but their names do appear on top of the dilogue window.
The replacement of %-escape sequences in text hasn't been implemented yet.
Nothing at all. I see only messages like loading npc textures and wind sounds. I think, the engine simply searches in some big topic list (or something like this, I didn't see the code).
I do not see how that could result in such a huge slowdown.