Monthly Release?

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Greendogo

Monthly Release?

Post by Greendogo »

Zini, are you aiming for near monthly releases? I've noticed since March the releases have been much more frequent at about 1 every 30 days. If that's the plan, that's something we might want to advertise as "a thing", since people love that kind of rapidity.
Zini

Re: Monthly Release?

Post by Zini »

Not sure about the "Monthly". I think the term I used was accelerated, which more or less turned into monthly for the recent couple of releases. Anyway, its probably not going to work. We have lost a bit of momentum (a regular seasonal thing, I guess). Unless a couple of heroes step forward to quickly finish up this release, it will be notably slower.
natirips

Post by natirips »

Greendogo wrote:people love that kind of rapidity.
People especially love Firefox's release rapidity.

That's why I'm still using Firefox 3 (since upgrading all the time would probably tear my hard drive apart).
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Ah, well I thought I noticed a decline in forum visits recently, but only the last few days. A monthly release would have been a nice thing to look forward to regularly, but it would be pointless to make releases if there wasn't enough to properly call it a "release".

@natirips: OpenMW is unfinished, so releases are desirable. Firefox has been feature complete for every version they've released for years (beside a few future features). I thought Firefox updated automatically like Chrome?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Unless a couple of heroes step forward to quickly finish up this release.
Call to keyboards programmers!
natirips

Post by natirips »

Greendogo wrote:@natirips: OpenMW is unfinished, so releases are desirable.
I agree with that. It was meant as a joke.
Greendogo wrote:I thought Firefox updated automatically
I disable automatic updates (as well as pop-ups and anything that happens in the background) on every single piece of software that has such features right after I install it. I hack it if I have to.

Because there's nothing more irritating than unpredictable lag. Not even a hardware failure.
sirherrbatka wrote:
Unless a couple of heroes step forward to quickly finish up this release.
Call to keyboards programmers!
I might join the project during September/October if I pass allthat last one the tests for this academic year.
Myckel

Post by Myckel »

Well, OpenMW is currently at 0.15.0, so why no 0.15.1 if you don't have so many new ground breaking features, but still some minor things. Even something as a bugfix or slight improvement in rendering speed is worth something.

Something about "release early, release often".
Zini

Post by Zini »

0.15.1 would mean a maintenance release. We haven't done much bug fixing this time, so that would be incorrect. What we have are mostly feature improvements, but they are either not finished or very minor tweaks.
Myckel

Post by Myckel »

Related to this, this https://freecode.com/projects/openmw seems to be very outdated.
jvoisin

Post by jvoisin »

Unfortunately, we don't have access to this account anymore :/