Upcomming video for 0.16

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
WeirdSexy

Upcomming video for 0.16

Post by WeirdSexy »

Hey all, just a few things I'd like feedback on.

First of all, do you guys want some credits at the end of the videos?
If so, should I include all the inactive devs, etc., or just the currently active ones?
If so x2, I'd need an accurate list of names.

This is from the team page, not sure if it's up to date:
  • Project managers:
    Marc “Zini” Zinnschlag
    Nicolay Korslund (inactive)

Developers:
    Aleksandar Jovanov
    Alexander “Ace” Olofsson
    athile
    BrotherBrick
    Cris “Mirceam” Mihalache
    gugus / gus
    Jacob “Yacoby” Essex
    Jannik “scrawl” Heller
    Jason “jhooks” Hooks
    Marc “Zini” Zinnschlag
    Michael “werdanith” Papageorgiou
    Nikolay “corristo” Kasyanov
    Pieter “pvdk” van der Kloet
    Roman “Kromgart” Melnik
    Sebastian “swick” Wick

Inactive developers:
    Ardekantur
    Armin Preiml
    Diggory Hardy
    Jan Borsodi
    Jan-Peter “peppe” Nilsson
    Josua Grawitter
    Karl-Felix “k1ll” Glatzer
    Lukasz “lgro” Gromanowski
    Nicolay Korslund
    sergoz
    Star-Demon
    Yuri Krupenin

Public relations:
    sir_herrbatka
    raevol
    ElderTroll

Package Maintainers:
    Alexander “Ace” Olofsson (Windows)
    BrotherBrick (Linux)
    Kenny ‘artorius’ Armstrong (Linux Fedora)
    Nikolay “corristo” Kasyanov (OS X)

Website Adminstration:
    Lukasz “lgro” Gromanowski
    Lordrea (inactive)
Secondly, should we start including some kind of disclaimer along the lines of "Morrowind is the property of Bethesda, Zenimax Media blah blah blah..." ?
Please no discussion of the state of copyright laws and the judicial systems enforcing them, just whether this is a smart idea or not.

Lastly, OpenMW is getting alot more attention lately. More people, who have little knowledge of the project, are starting to talk about it. There are several questions, comments, and concerns that pop up frequently in different places. Examples include:
  • "What does this mod do?"
  • "Can it be multiplayer?"
  • "Are you going to fix the combat?"
  • "Can it run on my phone?"
  • "This seems like stealing, how are you getting away with this!" or "I hope Zemimax doesn't take legal action against you guys."
  • "But can it run Crysis?"
etc, etc, etc.

People are not likely to do any research for themselves, but they might watch a video. I was thinking it might be a good idea to make a video that describes what exactly OpenMW is and addresses some of these common concerns.

Good Idea? Bad Idea?
If good idea, feel free to provide suggestions of other things to cover/demonstrate in such a video.
Zini

Re: Upcomming video for 0.16

Post by Zini »

First of all, do you guys want some credits at the end of the videos?
If so, should I include all the inactive devs, etc., or just the currently active ones?
If so x2, I'd need an accurate list of names.
It kinda becomes hard to track with the size of the team. Also, I don't think your list is up to date, because I recently added a developer.

I don't remember seeing any recent activity from the developers listed below (this is purely from memory though):

Aleksandar Jovanov
Alexander “Ace” Olofsson
athile
Cris “Mirceam” Mihalache
Jacob “Yacoby” Essex
Michael “werdanith” Papageorgiou
Roman “Kromgart” Melnik
Sebastian “swick” Wick

However I would prefer not to give credits on the video. This is a team effort after all and people are already properly credited on the team page, the help file and the git logs.
Secondly, should we start including some kind of disclaimer along the lines of "Morrowind is the property of Bethesda, Zenimax Media blah blah blah..." ?
If you want to do that, I suggest to do it outside the video (maybe in the text section below). Otherwise it would get too spammy.
People are not likely to do any research for themselves, but they might watch a video. I was thinking it might be a good idea to make a video that describes what exactly OpenMW is and addresses some of these common concerns.
I think that is a very good idea.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Zini wrote:
I think that is a very good idea.
OpenMW FAQ video? Sounds like a great idea. You may want to script it out and post it here, so we can give feedback on how you address things like Open Source and such.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

The faq video idea is solid. At the end of each version release video we could link to the faq video. raevol's idea about submitting a script is a good idea.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Make sure to include common fantasies that new-comers have as to what OpenMW is not, and an explanation about what "most-requested" features would have to wait until after 1.0 is released (combat/graphics improvements for a few examples).
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Alright, I'll post a script in this thread when I get around to it.

I think I agree with Zini on the credits and disclaimer issues. Although, I think it would be really hilarious to do a voiced disclaimer to play sped-up at the end like you hear in prescription drug commercials.
Zini

Post by Zini »

As mentioned in the main 0.16.0 thread, the character creation is mostly finished. I suggest running through it in this video.