OpenMW 0.15.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

OpenMW 0.15.0

Post by Zini »

0.14.0 done and we already have a good chunk of 0.15.0 done. I still have to do some more post-release cleanup and after that I will do my usual summary of the 0.15.0 roadmap (either later today or tomorrow).
raevol

Re: OpenMW 0.15.0

Post by raevol »

Bustin' down these releases like Godzilla.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Here we go ...

As usual I start with my tasks first:

* Auto-equipping in some cells not working: A new bug that showed up rather unexpectedly. I have an idea what is causing it and if I am right, it won't be fixed in 0.15.0, because there are other changes to be made first. But we will see.
* Implement magic effect bookkeeping: I did the spell list in 0.14.0 already and with this feature (and the missing GUI elements) we should have everything we need to get started on magic in 0.16.0.
* Support for x.y script syntax: Carrying this one around for ages. So far always something has come up, that stooped me from getting to this. But one can always hope ...

I moved all the ini stuff to 0.16.0, because pvdk has already one nasty bug-fixing task for 0.15.0 and we shouldn't keep him from editor work any longer.

There are three more tasks that I would like to draw special attention to:

* Spell Window: we absolutely need this one, if we want to have a go at magic in 0.16.0.
* Object rotation and scaling.: On the roadmap for a long time. Not entirely trivial, because it touches lots of subsystems and you need to be able to find your way around in the code base. But not really hard either. Just a lot of work. I hope we find someone who is willing to have a go at it.
* Player Control: If we want to make full use of the upcoming phyiscs improvements this task needs to be completed first. Being able to switch to 3rd person mode would also help a lot with testing NPC-related rendering.

Then we have the usual collection of new and old bugs:

* Valgrind reports about 40MB of leaked memory
* Some physics meshes still don't match
* Clipping/static in relation to the ghostgate/fence sound.
* Some textures are too dark
* Launcher defaults to OpenGL
* Activating creatures without dialogue can still activate the dialogue GUI
* Widening the stats window in X direction causes layout problems
* Topic pane in dialgoue window is too small for some longer topics

We may not be able to fix them all, but lets try to reduce their number at least.

Then we have various tasks related to physics:
* Player movement doesn't work properly in some places
* Collision with Terrain

And GUI tasks of not too much popularity:
* Inventory-, Container- and Trade-Windows
* Tooltips
* Book and Scroll Windows
* Advanced Journal GUI
* Weapon and Spell icons
* Add missing information to Stats window

Some more rendering stuff:
* Render Weapon and Shield
* Non-Actor animation (actually particles for the most part, I guess)

And some other tasks of varying importance:
* Allow ESPs and multiple ESMs (very important)
* Item Stacking in Containers
* Record Saving
* Advanced MW installation detection on OS X
* Feather & Burden

Overall the focus for 0.15.0 seems to be on gameplay improvements. The core feature will be the inventory GUI, which will open up a lot of new gameplay options.

Physics may or may not make it into this release, we should focus on getting the spell-related stuff ready and it would be nice to finally load ESPs. Everything else is somewhat optional.

Considering that quite a few bits of the inventory GUI are working already, we should be able to get the next release out in 3-4 weeks.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

0.15.0 should also make it so that wireframe rendering doesn't affect the sky. Standard Morrowind behavior dictates that wireframe rendering leaves the sky alone.

I see this as a top priority.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

WeirdSexy wrote:0.15.0 should also make it so that wireframe rendering doesn't affect the sky. Standard Morrowind behavior dictates that wireframe rendering leaves the sky alone.
done. (I don't even want to know why on earth its a top priority)
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

@weirdsexy

haha
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Sorry for probably dumb question... But what is the point of wireframe rendering? Finding useless graphics element? And why it should not touch the sky?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

done
So time to make RC. ;-)
Zini

Post by Zini »

Once scrawl has finished with the container UI and the tooltips, we should start warming up for another release.

Slightly smaller this time and unfortunately no progress at all with the tasks I was trying to draw attention to in my initial posting.

But we have a new physics system, the container GUI, the scroll and book GUI plus some smaller improvements. That is more than enough for a release.
EmbraceUnity

Post by EmbraceUnity »

two small bugs I noticed in the latest master.

1) I'm able to talk to slaughterfish

2) You cannot keep your head above the water surface when swimming, it just keeps going back underwater.