Projected release date with all currently-planned features.

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Tarius
Posts: 574
Joined: 24 Oct 2011, 19:29

Re: Projected release date with all currently-planned featur

Post by Tarius » 02 Apr 2012, 00:57

Yacoby wrote:The bigger problem I see is 1.1, which will (I assume) take several years after the release of 1.0 due to arguing over the scripting language ;)
I saw the thread with argueing about language and what I see it as coming down to is two things:
1. Extend current language and people have to learn new stuff.
2. Use language like Python(or whatever other was mentioned) and people have to learn new stuff, just more than #1. Difference is that this one is potentially far more versitile and efficient.

Judging by the fact that many people have to learn new stuff to begin with when modding, it probably isnt a big deal to make them learn more of it, if said stuff is more efficient and versitile.
I am a bigger fan of tons of control rather than taking the "user-friendly" approach.
-Okulo

ezzetabi
Posts: 407
Joined: 03 Feb 2012, 16:52

Re: Projected release date with all currently-planned featur

Post by ezzetabi » 19 Apr 2012, 10:53

Not to worry Yacoby, I think it is enough to use the ``benevolent dictator'' solution. One person does the final decision.
So the team decide a time for arguing. When the time finishes the benevolent dictator decides (of course considering of the points shown in the arguing).

Yet I think scripting language is somewhat pointless if openmw does not have many modders. Openmw can have a wonderful language, but if no-one uses it is a waste. Can expect many persons writing mods that cannot be played with original Morrowind?

Nomadic1
Posts: 79
Joined: 16 Apr 2012, 09:08

Re: Projected release date with all currently-planned featur

Post by Nomadic1 » 20 Apr 2012, 10:41

ezzetabi wrote:Yet I think scripting language is somewhat pointless if openmw does not have many modders. Openmw can have a wonderful language, but if no-one uses it is a waste. Can expect many persons writing mods that cannot be played with original Morrowind?
FWIW, I'm really wanting to make a full-on mod that uses OpenMW (what I want to do is near-impossible with Morrowind as it is) and can't wait for OpenMW to be finished. I can only see interest growing as you get closer to completion.

I don't think you need to worry about not having modders ;)

ezzetabi
Posts: 407
Joined: 03 Feb 2012, 16:52

Re: Projected release date with all currently-planned featur

Post by ezzetabi » 20 Apr 2012, 10:50

Thanks nice. What about open a thread in the of topic section about your idea? Sounds fascinating.

User avatar
psi29a
Posts: 4613
Joined: 29 Sep 2011, 10:13
Location: Belgium
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/
Contact:

Re: Projected release date with all currently-planned featur

Post by psi29a » 20 Apr 2012, 10:53

To be fair, OpenMW does not need Marrowind assets to run. One could, for example, create your own total conversion.

http://ultima.cfkasper.de/ <-- Ultima remake using Morrowind's engine, which will also work in OpenMW. Zini is one of the developers of that project.

Think of OpenMW as Gamebryo Engine replacement (OpenGamebryo) which is more appropriate.

There is already talk of Oblivion and other gamebryo titles that could work inside the OpenMW framework.

OpenMW just focuses on Morrowind and it's expansions as a target for right now, who knows post 1.0 release.

The future is bright! :)

User avatar
hircine
Posts: 157
Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 07:18

Re: Projected release date with all currently-planned featur

Post by hircine » 21 Apr 2012, 02:29

BrotherBrick wrote:
The future is bright! :)
Underground? :lol:

User avatar
psi29a
Posts: 4613
Joined: 29 Sep 2011, 10:13
Location: Belgium
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/
Contact:

Re: Projected release date with all currently-planned featur

Post by psi29a » 21 Apr 2012, 07:50

hircine wrote:
BrotherBrick wrote:
The future is bright! :)
Underground? :lol:
Indeed... Fallout3

Nomadic1
Posts: 79
Joined: 16 Apr 2012, 09:08

Re: Projected release date with all currently-planned featur

Post by Nomadic1 » 22 Apr 2012, 07:39

ezzetabi wrote:Thanks nice. What about open a thread in the of topic section about your idea? Sounds fascinating.
It's nothing terribly exciting, truthfully. I just have the mad idea of remaking the entirety of the game 4 times as large and done with new, more modern-ish art assets. And rule changes, rebalancing, and removal of the dice-roll style combat. That's the gist of it.
BrotherBrick wrote:To be fair, OpenMW does not need Marrowind assets to run. One could, for example, create your own total conversion.

http://ultima.cfkasper.de/ <-- Ultima remake using Morrowind's engine, which will also work in OpenMW. Zini is one of the developers of that project.

Think of OpenMW as Gamebryo Engine replacement (OpenGamebryo) which is more appropriate.

There is already talk of Oblivion and other gamebryo titles that could work inside the OpenMW framework.

OpenMW just focuses on Morrowind and it's expansions as a target for right now, who knows post 1.0 release.

The future is bright! :)
I know, but Morrowind as it is could never do it. It seems like OpenMW could ;)

User avatar
Okulo
Posts: 671
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 16:11

Re: Projected release date with all currently-planned featur

Post by Okulo » 22 Apr 2012, 13:56

Yacoby wrote:The bigger problem I see is 1.1, which will (I assume) take several years after the release of 1.0 due to arguing over the scripting language ;)
Brainfuck will be the scripting language.

Discussion over.

User avatar
sirherrbatka
Posts: 2154
Joined: 07 Aug 2011, 17:21

Re: Projected release date with all currently-planned featur

Post by sirherrbatka » 22 Apr 2012, 14:12

no! Let's use Ook! instead http://www.dangermouse.net/esoteric/ook.html

lolcode is also interesting

Code: Select all

HAI
CAN HAS STDIO?
I HAS A VAR
IM IN YR LOOP
	UPZ VAR!!1
	VISIBLE VAR
	IZ VAR BIGR THAN 10? GTFO. KTHX
KTHX
KTHXBYE

Post Reply