Lapsed developers

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Chris

Re: Lapsed developers

Post by Chris »

Zini wrote:The problem is that after we are done with OpenMW 1.0 we will need to extend the ESX format to develop OpenMW further. We can't do that with the TES-CS, which means after OpenMW 1.0 all development work on it (except for bug-fixes) would have come to a stop. I don't think that would be healthy for the project.
Not really. If OpenMW 1.0 is for replicating vanilla Morrowind, there's plenty of extra stuff to do afterward that doesn't rely on a changed ESX format. The additions made by MGE and MWSE, for instance (extra scripting functions, distant land, improved graphical effects for user-definable shaders, global shadows, HDR, etc).

Granted there are features that would need an expanded ESX format, but there's features that don't, either.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I trust your judgement Zini. You are an extremely smart and capable project lead. If that's the case, with pvdk, then that sounds awesome. Definitely an additional aspect to OpenMW to keep people entertained over the coming year. I really didn't think the new editor would get worked on until 1.0 was done and work on extended features had actually started.
Zini

Post by Zini »

extra scripting functions
Extending the scripting language will most likely require a new editor, because the old one will bug out on script constructs it doesn't understand.
distant land, improved graphical effects for user-definable shaders, global shadows, HDR
Most of these are fairly trivial. And as improvements go, a bit insubstantial for my taste. Okay, we might get enough material for 1.1 but that's definitely the limit and only having graphics improvements sounds a bit imbalanced to me.
We might go with it anyway, but for 1.2 we definitely need a working editor, which is why we should at least get a headstart on it, even if we can't finish it at the same time as OpenMW 1.0.
Necrod

Post by Necrod »

When approximately could there be playable beta, if development keeps the same pace, an you don't encounter too many big problems?
Zini

Post by Zini »

This
if development keeps the same pace
is a very big if. From experience the development speed will either go up or down. But it will never stay the same if I am trying to make a prediction.

But if the development speed really stays constant, we will have a playable version of OpenMW before the year is over. For some values of "playable".
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I think OpenMW has hit a tipping point as we have enough interest and enough people involved that there will always be people (more than one) working on it. This is good.

I however get the feeling, and not just from this thread, that it is not good enough and there is a 'push' for more which can be counter productive.

People should really read the mythical man month. Adding more people to a project does not get it done faster, that is a fallacy. The communication overhead ends up killing the project.

Sources:
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

I'll try to recruit a few bug testers and more folks to translate news, but I'm holding off on developer recruitment until I'm given the go ahead from you Zini.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

For any given value of "playable" greater than "not", at what point in time will it most likely occur? Anyone want to figure that out and do a linear regression? :D