OpenMW 0.14.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Greendogo

Re: OpenMW 0.14.0

Post by Greendogo »

Is anyone going to pick up the multiple ESP/ESM feature this time?!? :twisted:

I know, oooh, scary! But it has to be done some time, and 0.15.0 is as good a time as any! Right? The bug tracker says someone named Mark Siewert took it 2 weeks ago. However, there's been no updates since then.

What if there's several bugs we don't see because we're only looking at one ESM? :shock:
veepee

Post by veepee »

Mark Siewert has already done that feature once for Crystal Scrolls, so he's probably the right person for the job. He just had some problems getting a toolchain up and running. You can read about it here.
raevol

Post by raevol »

I will try to get to the release tomorrow, I must to sleep at the moment. What follows is *not* a release announcement draft, but just a cope/paste of the issues from the roadmap. If anyone has any pre-emptive input on it, feel free to share, otherwise, feel free to share once I have drafted the announcement.
Bug #1: Meshes rendered with wrong orientation
Bug #6: Picking up small objects doesn't always work
Bug #127: tcg doesn't work
Bug #178: Compablity problems with Ogre 1.8.0 RC 1
Bug #211: Wireframe mode (toggleWireframe command) should not apply to Console & other UI
Bug #227: Terrain crashes when moving away from predefined cells
Bug #228: Minimap not rotated to face north
Bug #229: On OS X Launcher cannot launch game if path to binary contains spaces
Bug #235: TGA texture loading problem
Bug #246: wireframe mode does not work in water
Bug #247: No sound in the latest windows branch
Bug #249: Blank screen with latest windows build (b7614dd)
Feature #8: Water Rendering
Feature #13: Terrain Rendering
Feature #37: Render Path Grid
Feature #66: Factions
Feature #77: Local Map
Feature #78: Compass/Mini-Map
Feature #97: Render Clothing/Armour
Feature #121: Window Pinning
Feature #205: Auto equip
Feature #217: Contiainer should track changes to its content
Feature #221: NPC Dialogue Window Enhancements
Feature #232: Better looking water
Feature #233: Game settings manager
Feature #240: Spell List and selected spell
Feature #243: Draw State
Task #113: Morrowind.ini Importer
Task #215: Refactor the sound code
Task #216: Update MyGUI
Task #220: Occlusion query
Zini

Post by Zini »

Use the list from the readme file as a base instead. It's slightly more cleaned up.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Hey guys, made a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNjlgg8y ... e=youtu.be

Unlisted at the moment.
I'm really not happy with it, I was sort of rushed and didn't plan it very well. I also probably didn't cover everything that I needed to. I just wanted to get something done in time for the release. I'd like to make an improved version for the release, with your feedback, but school/work combo has been kicking my ass and I don't think I'll get a chance to before a release unless you chose to delay it because of some other problem.

Anyway, that's all I've got for you for now. Since Star-Demon has reappeared, though, I'm sure we'll see a more enjoyable video soon anyway ;)

And as a side note: I just wanted to mention that I'm always tempted to put an out-take like this at the end of these things. http://soundcloud.com/weirdsexy/openmw-0-14-outtake
Really just wanted an excuse to make a soundcloud account, I think I'm going to start using it often.
jvoisin

Post by jvoisin »

Nice video, but :
  • I think you should clearly indicate when you're showing the previous and the actual version, to avoid confusion.
  • When you show that wireframe mode no longer affects interfaces stuffs, you should pop-up the inventory, because the HUD sole make not this feature obvious.
  • We now have sounds on pickup !
  • Maybe you could try to enunciate a little bit more
Good job :)
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Since Star-Demon has reappeared, though, I'm sure we'll see a more enjoyable video soon anyway
You can't walk away now... :evil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBdxN2oy8xM
Zini

Post by Zini »

Not bad, actually. Looks like you managed to cover all the important points.

The only thing that could be improved is how you announce features from the roadmap for the next release. Just because its on the roadmap doesn't mean, it will get done. It only means that I think doing this feature/bug fix/task now would be a good idea. Some particular unpopular issues are on the roadmap for several versions now. I suggest you only announce upcoming features that are at least in WIP state.
ap0 wrote:Nice video, but :

We had them in the previous version, so they are not really worth mentioning in this video.
Chris

Post by Chris »

We do have the underwater pitch shift effect, though (but it's not very noticeable since there aren't many sounds when underwater). It wouldn't be too hard to make it an actual underwater reverb (for 0.15).
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

ap0 wrote:Nice video, but :
  • I think you should clearly indicate when you're showing the previous and the actual version, to avoid confusion.
  • When you show that wireframe mode no longer affects interfaces stuffs, you should pop-up the inventory, because the HUD sole make not this feature obvious.
  • Maybe you could try to enunciate a little bit more
Yeah, I should have done an overlay with "0.13" and "0.14" for the comparison shots. But, I've never done that before, although I'm sure it is extremely straightforward, I was just trying to work as fast as possible.

I don't think I've the ability to enunciate any more than I already am, believe me I'm trying. I'm a mumbler :) Only real solution is to EQ my voice differently or make the background stuff quieter :D
sirherrbatka wrote:
Since Star-Demon has reappeared, though, I'm sure we'll see a more enjoyable video soon anyway
You can't walk away now... :evil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBdxN2oy8xM
I'm not going anywhere! I'm just swamped with gross IRL stuff at the moment.
Zini wrote:Not bad, actually. Looks like you managed to cover all the important points.

The only thing that could be improved is how you announce features from the roadmap for the next release. Just because its on the roadmap doesn't mean, it will get done. It only means that I think doing this feature/bug fix/task now would be a good idea. Some particular unpopular issues are on the roadmap for several versions now. I suggest you only announce upcoming features that are at least in WIP state
Yeah, that's why I say "coming soon" instead of "the next release", but the same issue applies. I will be more careful about that.

Ok guys, thanks for the comments. I'm gonna need to focus on some school work for the rest of the day, but I have one last question about doing videos: How would you suggest I open/introduce new videos? I did the same flying through Vivec cantons that I did for the last video (now with 100% more lag!) while saying a few things about the pace/state of the project. Is saying these things pointless? Should I just immediately start talking about features? What should the video be doing during that part? If I could find the time to learn how to do it, would some sort of opening graphic with the OpenMW logo and perhaps a version number be better?