OpenMW 0.14.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
werdanith

Re: OpenMW 0.14.0

Post by werdanith »

WeirdSexy wrote:Well I can't get shadows to work in d3d9 or OpenGL on my ATI powered desktop
Well, if I understand the situation correctly, you need Direct X 10+ for ATI cards (I thought Ogre didn't even support past 9)
WeirdSexy wrote:or my Nvidia powered laptop.
Well I don't know what could be the issue with that, I can just remind you that (again if I understand it correctly) you need Shader Model 3+ capable card, and I advise you to try both OpenGL and Direct X modes, taking into account the issue I reported above.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Ah, I forgot that we only ship the DX9 plugin. In that case, no shadows atm on win with ATI.
EmbraceUnity

Stuff I noticed

Post by EmbraceUnity »

Here's a number of things I noticed in the latest master that you are probably already aware of. Just wanted to start some discussion on smaller things, since everything is becoming more playable. Or, at least explorable.

1) When you press spacebar on certain creatures, like mudcrabs, an empty conversation dialog window opens.

2) Near the temple in Vivec there is a black box that is apparently some sort of marker. Perhaps the visibility of these markers could be toggled by command line, so that they could be turned on for the editor or whatever.

3) When underwater, there is a blue line that appears to indicate the surface of the water, but it actually doesn't do so accurately at all.

4) In the default cell, when toggle collision is on and you go into the water, you fall through the world.

5) When you cross a load boundary, and then cross back over to the previous region you still get a pause.

6) Resizing the stats menu produces odd-looking results.

7) When you attempt to pick up an item, it often doesn't work but if you try enough it eventually does.
Greendogo

Re: Stuff I noticed

Post by Greendogo »

This probably belongs in a different sub-forum.

Edit:
Moved.

Sir
Zini

Re: Stuff I noticed

Post by Zini »

EmbraceUnity wrote: 1) When you press spacebar on certain creatures, like mudcrabs, an empty conversation dialog window opens.
Looks like a bug (you can add an issue to the tracker if you want).
EmbraceUnity wrote: 2) Near the temple in Vivec there is a black box that is apparently some sort of marker. Perhaps the visibility of these markers could be toggled by command line, so that they could be turned on for the editor or whatever.
see here
EmbraceUnity wrote: 3) When underwater, there is a blue line that appears to indicate the surface of the water, but it actually doesn't do so accurately at all.
Not sure. Scrawl?
EmbraceUnity wrote: 4) In the default cell, when toggle collision is on and you go into the water, you fall through the world.
The physics system is currently undergoing a complete rework. Little point in improving the old code.
EmbraceUnity wrote: 5) When you cross a load boundary, and then cross back over to the previous region you still get a pause.
That is to be expected in the current stage.
EmbraceUnity wrote: 6) Resizing the stats menu produces odd-looking results.
Minor layout bug. You can add an issue to the tracker, if you want.
EmbraceUnity wrote: 7) When you attempt to pick up an item, it often doesn't work but if you try enough it eventually does.
Can't reproduce this problem.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

EmbraceUnity wrote:7) When you attempt to pick up an item, it often doesn't work but if you try enough it eventually does.
We have a new method using occlusion queries for activating objects that is much better than the old one, but it's still not perfect. Although if your hardware does not support occlusion queries, it falls back to the old one.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

I noticed that, on windows 7 at least, if you use the window pinning feature, it makes certain HUD elements disappear.
If you pin the stats menu, it makes your health/mana/fatigue bars go away. If you pin the map window, it makes your compass/mini-map go away.

Also, I did finally get shadows to work on my laptop, but that doesn't help me much with recording them. I'll have to figure something out about that.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

WeirdSexy wrote:I noticed that, on windows 7 at least, if you use the window pinning feature, it makes certain HUD elements disappear.
If you pin the stats menu, it makes your health/mana/fatigue bars go away. If you pin the map window, it makes your compass/mini-map go away.
Its a feature, not a bug.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

yes, it's the same as in morrowind.

So it is a Feature™
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Oh, just checked. Sure enough it is. To be honest with you, I didn't know about window pinning in MW until I saw it on the OpenMW issue tracker :lol: I've been playing this game for nearly 10 years!