Steps towards a Promo Video

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
User avatar
Zini
Posts: 5536
Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 15:16

Re: Steps towards a Promo Video

Post by Zini » 20 Mar 2012, 09:55

Personally, I think the terms alpha and beta are mostly useless these days (especially for Open Source development). The come from a time when the software development process was looking completely different (and was understood less well then today).

User avatar
ElderTroll
Posts: 499
Joined: 25 Jan 2012, 07:01

Re: Steps towards a Promo Video

Post by ElderTroll » 23 Mar 2012, 06:27

@Zini
From the perspective of a layperson, I've always thought of alphas as being sort of an early demonstration, with betas being more functional and feature complete pieces of software. I understand what you mean, but alpha is a nice way of saying, "not really playable yet."

@Weirdsexy
Here is an amazing example of a trailer somebody made for Morrowind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kkurXgkkfg
“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.”

User avatar
raevol
Posts: 2999
Joined: 07 Aug 2011, 01:12
Location: Caldera

Re: Steps towards a Promo Video

Post by raevol » 23 Mar 2012, 07:29

ElderTroll wrote:Here is an amazing example of a trailer somebody made for Morrowind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kkurXgkkfg
Wow... that's incredible...

User avatar
WeirdSexy
Posts: 609
Joined: 15 Sep 2011, 18:50
Location: USA

Re: Steps towards a Promo Video

Post by WeirdSexy » 23 Mar 2012, 17:29

ElderTroll wrote:@Weirdsexy
Here is an amazing example of a trailer somebody made for Morrowind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kkurXgkkfg
Yep, that looks good. I believe I could put something similar together, but keep in mind that trailer would not spark such an emotional response without all the mods.

Also, were you guys wanting a purely cinematic trailer like that? I was under the impression that you were wanting more of a narrated demonstration video annotating all of the functional features of the engine.

I'm flexible, whatever you guys want when the time comes. I can probably add in some explosions and machine guns if you guys want something flashier.

User avatar
raevol
Posts: 2999
Joined: 07 Aug 2011, 01:12
Location: Caldera

Re: Steps towards a Promo Video

Post by raevol » 23 Mar 2012, 17:52

WeirdSexy wrote:Also, were you guys wanting a purely cinematic trailer like that? I was under the impression that you were wanting more of a narrated demonstration video annotating all of the functional features of the engine.
I think for the releases we want a more narrated video. For the promo video I was envisioning, which would be sort of version-agnostic, I was thinking more cinematic.

This is all up to the person making the video of course! Whatever you think is best.

User avatar
WeirdSexy
Posts: 609
Joined: 15 Sep 2011, 18:50
Location: USA

Re: Steps towards a Promo Video

Post by WeirdSexy » 23 Mar 2012, 18:19

raevol wrote: I think for the releases we want a more narrated video. For the promo video I was envisioning, which would be sort of version-agnostic, I was thinking more cinematic.

This is all up to the person making the video of course! Whatever you think is best.
Yes, I was referring to a promo, not a version release video. I was thinking of a narrated video highlighting all the visible, functional features of the engine at whatever point we decide to make something like that. This means there would be no "Hey, here's a new feature" or "Features we should see in the next version include: ..." or "Lots of bug fixes and crap you can't see in this version!", you get my point. I was thinking of starting off with the launcher "Hey so OpenMW is cross platform ... blah blah ... we can load MW, it's expansions and your favorite mods!" Then launch and play through the character creation stuff, steal everything in that room before you talk to Sellus Gravius like everyone does. Hey look a message box! Give Fargoth his ring. Show the journal entries for all that. Show the inventory/stats/map, all that jazz. Then some cinematic shots of sky/water/terrain and towns with animated NPCs walking around with clothes on. Show content from the expansions and one of the official mods to demonstrate that capability. Whatever, rambled a little there, but that was my idea. I just don't think it would make sense to do a purely cinematic video for pre-1.0 where people might be able to see stuff that isn't finished yet or doesn't look/work as good as it might v.1.x. I might be overestimating how psychologically-involved people are when they are watching youtube videos though.

User avatar
raevol
Posts: 2999
Joined: 07 Aug 2011, 01:12
Location: Caldera

Re: Steps towards a Promo Video

Post by raevol » 23 Mar 2012, 18:22

WeirdSexy wrote:I just don't think it would make sense to do a purely cinematic video for pre-1.0 where people might be able to see stuff that isn't finished yet or doesn't look/work as good as it might v.1.x.
Hmm, see my thought was that it would be good to do a purely cinematic video for pre 1.0, because you could leave out things like combat and spellcasting, and instead have dramatic camera angles and sweet music.

User avatar
WeirdSexy
Posts: 609
Joined: 15 Sep 2011, 18:50
Location: USA

Re: Steps towards a Promo Video

Post by WeirdSexy » 23 Mar 2012, 18:26

raevol wrote:
WeirdSexy wrote:I just don't think it would make sense to do a purely cinematic video for pre-1.0 where people might be able to see stuff that isn't finished yet or doesn't look/work as good as it might v.1.x.
Hmm, see my thought was that it would be good to do a purely cinematic video for pre 1.0, because you could leave out things like combat and spellcasting, and instead have dramatic camera angles and sweet music.
You've swayed me. Would be really nice to have a way to change the camera speed though, slow panning camera makes drama easy.

oh and the ability to enable/disable the HUD. Is that possible in OpenMW? The only way I knew to do it in MW was with "TM", but I don't believe that function is implemented.

User avatar
raevol
Posts: 2999
Joined: 07 Aug 2011, 01:12
Location: Caldera

Re: Steps towards a Promo Video

Post by raevol » 23 Mar 2012, 19:14

WeirdSexy wrote:oh and the ability to enable/disable the HUD. Is that possible in OpenMW? The only way I knew to do it in MW was with "TM", but I don't believe that function is implemented.
Hmm, I should add that to my list of "things we need for a promo video". Though you can always crop the video, make it widescreen and all that.

ezzetabi
Posts: 407
Joined: 03 Feb 2012, 16:52

Re: Steps towards a Promo Video

Post by ezzetabi » 25 Mar 2012, 08:57

Zini wrote:Personally, I think the terms alpha and beta are mostly useless these days (especially for Open Source development). The come from a time when the software development process was looking completely different (and was understood less well then today).
I think the Wine Myth 14 nails it very well. ``Large software projects are never finished, only released. ''

Post Reply