Steps towards a Promo Video

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
ElderTroll

Re: Steps towards a Promo Video

Post by ElderTroll »

@weirdsexy quodup from Freegamer suggests we title our videos "OpenMW vX.YY.ZZ Changes with Developer Commentary" which is longer, but maybe more accurate (even though you're not a dev :) ). Just a suggestion.
Necrod

Post by Necrod »

I'd remove "v" and just add /w Commentary at the end.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

I had noticed that and gave it some thought. More accurate, I suppose. I'm not sure how much more accurate that is than "Demonstration". If accuracy was our goal with the titles we would need "OpenMW v.X.YY.ZZ demonstration of the subset of changes that are visible and exciting video" or something along those lines. I favor putting less of that kind of information in the title and more of it in the description and the video itself. Looks cleaner, in my opinion. Besides, what am I going to be showing? Stuff that we've had since 3 versions ago?

But that's just my initial opinion. Perhaps my way is unprofessional. I was just following the naming protocol from previous videos anyway. What are everyone else's thoughts on the matter? It makes no difference to me. A naming scheme like that lets me pretend to be a dev anyway :D

EDIT: On second thought, taking necrod's comment into account, "OpenMW v.X.YY.ZZ Developer Commentary" or "OpenMW X.YY.ZZ Commentary" are clean enough and are perhaps more accurate.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

What about using a text instead of voices? I think it would appeal more users.
raevol

Post by raevol »

ezzetabi wrote:What about using a text instead of voices? I think it would appeal more users.
But WeirdSexy's voice is so awesome... honestly his tone makes the videos really professional. Maybe some text to caption sections or something, but I like the voiced videos.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

I prefer voiced narration. For 1.0 we can have text though. Seems fitting for the the big one point o.
Necrod

Post by Necrod »

There could be subtitles captions but not really needed IMO.. Sounds so professional like this
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

What's the attraction to text "narration"? For non native English speakers? Or for some other reason?
I'm just curious because I can't think of any project like this (meaning a video game) where I'd rather have what basically amounts to a PowerPoint presentation with no presenter than a voiced commentary. I wish I had a cool deep voice or something though :)
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

WeirdSexy wrote:What's the attraction to text "narration"? For non native English speakers? Or for some other reason?
I'm just curious because I can't think of any project like this (meaning a video game) where I'd rather have what basically amounts to a PowerPoint presentation with no presenter than a voiced commentary. I wish I had a cool deep voice or something though :)
Text has numerous advantages. Test is easier to follow, text makes going fast or slower as needed easier, text makes skip to the part you actually need easier.
It is harder making mistakes while writing than while speaking. If you are in a silent ambient like a library you do not need an headset with text.

And as you said, not everyone is a native speaker. You need just a little English to follow even the lolcat, but you need lots more to follow someone speaking.
Just watch mark76 movie, I do not miss the voice, it is a great explanation of his work.

Maybe it is about vision, but I cannot think a project that is better with voice... Ok, I guess a voice actors presentation might be...