OpenMW popularization

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
endorph

OpenMW popularization

Post by endorph »

Hey, guys!
At first, I want to say that OpenMW is a project which I found very interesting. I think you guys are making impressive things, rewriting TES3 which is remains the best "sandboxed" RPG ever. I'm checking news feed, all the time with great interest, all the time I finish reading sir_herrbatka's posts with smile on my face (:

At first and a half, I'm excusing for my shitty Eng, will do my best to make it understandable.

At second, I wish to help project. I'm an Asm/C (C++ slightly) programmer, but, unfortunately, I have no experience in gamedev, low-level system programming only. So, more useful thing I can give now - donation + few ideas about project popularization.

1) What if to order good, professional OpenMW trailer on freelance service? Or another case (maybe its even better): it can be a competition for all who wish to try with voting and prize money. As result: more people knows about project; project "introduction" trailer is ready;

2) Highlight an idea with collaborative game mode. I think that is first and strongest dream of many TES fans, so, maybe some kind of conservative highlighting is possible? No roadmap changes, all the same, but let people know that if they contribute - they bring their dream closer;

3) Crowd funding around (2). Collaborative mode + Morrowind/Bloodmoon/Tribunal + Tamriel Rebuilt world = OpenMW MMORPG. Team: a) professionals (basic team) are working fulltime and paid from fund (real $$ + septimes, realty, guild titles in virtual world); b) non-professionals - paid with virtual gifts only, but by vote results can migrate into (a).

I undestand that all I suggested is not more than point of non-professional in gamedev, but I will be glad to read any opinions and to have constructive discussion.

Whoooh (: I think now I need some alcohol. Cheers.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Re: OpenMW popularization

Post by lgromanowski »

If I understand you correctly - for 1) and 3) please see: http://openmw.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=549#p2569
endorph

Post by endorph »

But.. donations is affected by law too? Coders which are receiving payments, receiving them for their own code, not for Bethesda content. Sure, I can be mistaken. If someone knows for sure - please tell how it should be in accordance to laws.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

endorph wrote:But.. donations is affected by law too? Coders which are receiving payments, receiving them for their own code, not for Bethesda content. Sure, I can be mistaken. If someone knows for sure - please tell how it should be in accordance to laws.
It's not about what's lawful or unlawful, that differs around the world anyway. What's important is whether it pisses Bethesda off or not. And as projects like Morroblivion indicate, the lines are fine since there are more complicated licencing factors involved behind the scenes. No matter what we did here I doubt if Bethesda would ever actually attempt to sue anyone, even if they were evil, it wouldn't be worth the money put into it, or the bad pr. But we still want to make posts on the official forums and the sites that support Morrowind plugins without having our posts/plugins deleted. ;)
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Hey Endorph,

The attitude from the project lead is to not involve money. I think your ideas are good, but they might be better fitted for a project like Arx Liberatis (which is the a project to improve the game engine to Arx Fatalis which was open sourced last January) http://arx.parpg.net/. Arx Fatalis is like a cousin of Morrowind (both being directly influenced by ultima underground). That project is based off Bethesda open sourcing Arx's engine so there is no fuzziness regarding legal issues. The folks working on liberatis might also want help promoting and popularizing the project.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

all the time I finish reading sir_herrbatka's posts with smile on my face
Whoooh (: I think now I need some alcohol. Cheers.
That compilation from irc gone to far xD

Well, since ElderTroll joined us We don't have problems about low popularity. Probabbly zini will need to hide from paparazzi soon ;-)

as for point 2
The problem is that We need to finish 1.0.0 first to make any changes.

OTOH there is one thing that it's still not even started correctly. Editor. If We could form a team for work on editor, and both openmw and opencs would progress than I would just cry from hapiness. :ugeek:
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

sir_herrbatka wrote:Well, since ElderTroll joined us We don't have problems about low popularity. Probabbly zini will need to hide from paparazzi soon ;-)
Ahaha... too true. It is a troll... in a positive way!
endorph

Post by endorph »

He-hey. Thanks for replies. I think I understand this common position regarding money in project. Well.. some of dreams should stay unimplemented, maybe, its a true sense of them (:

UPD: ElderTroll said about ArxFatalis - I'm wondering that I havent heard anything about this game before, it looks pretty good. Now I know for sure - all good RPG's should begin from prison break (: But why I see all my ideas in context of TES3? I think its more popular, it has much more 3rd-party stuff created by community (if to take just only TamrielRebuilt, its amazing). So, from two impossible things, one of them named "OpenMW MMO" is definetly better IMHO (;
Last edited by endorph on 28 Feb 2012, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
hircine

Post by hircine »

sir_herrbatka wrote:
OTOH there is one thing that it's still not even started correctly. Editor. If We could form a team for work on editor, and both openmw and opencs would progress than I would just cry from hapiness. :ugeek:
Hopefully pvdk and I will be able to get a decent start on that. :)
Zini

Post by Zini »

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the editor. While work on it has been delayed multiple times, we have a good design and I am optimistic that we will see the first bits of code rather sooner than later.