OpenMW 0.46.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

OpenMW 0.46.0

Post by Zini »

I'll just leave that here for discussion in regards to the currently developed 0.46 version. There hasn't been any major change since 0.45, so I have nothing to talk about this time.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW 0.46.0

Post by psi29a »

What do we hope for or would like to target for 0.46 in terms of OpenMW and OpenMW-CS ?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'll be pretty pissed off if shadows aren't a thing, although I remember when we released 0.44 I said I'd get shadows into 0.45 no matter what state they were in.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

What are the blockers for Shadows right now? Are they still what is listed in the PR at the top?
Zini

Post by Zini »

psi29a wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 13:59 What do we hope for or would like to target for 0.46 in terms of OpenMW and OpenMW-CS ?
What ever gets done, obviously. Shadows would be really nice. Maybe progress on OpenMW-CS again. One can always hope.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

What are the blockers for Shadows right now? Are they still what is listed in the PR at the top?
More or less, but that's not exactly the most well-explained version. As it stands, the remaining tasks are:
  • Chop up CSM shadow maps by depth as well as location, which should magically fix all the flickering issues. This is in progress, but a task I'd expected to be a two-line change hasn't worked, so I'm investigating why.
  • Resolve incompatibilities between distant terrain and shadows or disable one when the other is active or just remove terrain shadows as an option altogether for now. As they work now, if you're using terrain paging and have terrain shadows enabled at the same time, shadows are cast using the maximally zoomed out terrain model which features all of Vvardenfell and Solstheim, so you might get a triangular shadow cast by the Red Mountain or a really big hill, but that's basically it. I tried changing things so that the correct TerrainDrawables get used (i.e. the exact same ones as the main camera uses) but got segfaults, and that part of the engine isn't especially easy to understand.
  • Fix a shadows-are-missing-from-this-two-square-metre-area issue Akortunov found. It's not a common issue or someone else would have found it sooner, but it's still better to have it sorted out.
unelsson

Post by unelsson »

I'm hoping to get terrain selection (vertex and terrain texture), terrain transient editing, and shape editing tools to 0.46 https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/2167 , but there are some obstacles still.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

I suppose since 0.45 is released now, it is time to sum up which issues we should fix to release 0.46.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'm currently clearing up minor OSG-related issues and would quite like to implement a maximum shadow distance setting to hide the things people are complaining about. If some experimentation was done to find better default settings, that would be nice, too. I might make a new debug overlay type that shows how under/over sampled things are to aid with that.
wareya

Post by wareya »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 28 Mar 2019, 18:43 I'm currently clearing up minor OSG-related issues and would quite like to implement a maximum shadow distance setting to hide the things people are complaining about.
Yes!
AnyOldName3 wrote: 28 Mar 2019, 18:43 If some experimentation was done to find better default settings, that would be nice, too. I might make a new debug overlay type that shows how under/over sampled things are to aid with that.
A split uniform logarithmic ratio of 1 would probably be a much better default for people using distant terrain.