Improving the FAQ

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Thunderforge

Re: Improving the FAQ

Post by Thunderforge »

Alright, I went ahead and went hog wild and made a bunch of changes to the FAQ draft. I added a few key questions from this list and wrote several answers myself (there were a few other questions there that I thought were less pressing, so I didn't include them). I also removed the FAQ video because it was extremely old and did not provide a good reflection of the current state of the project.

Let me know what you think and what further changes should be made.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Thunderforge wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 04:09 FAQ draft.
Looks like you can't view this unless you are signed in to wordpress.
lysol

Post by lysol »

I like it! One major thing I have to say I dislike though: The justified text. There is not enough text under each header to justify (no pun intended) justified text IMO. I think justified text works in articles with lots of text, especially when the text is divided in several columns.

Also:

Under the header "Can OpenMW run Morrowind mods?", maybe we could get some info there that we want reports if mods don't work in OpenMW. As been discussed before here on the forums, many modders are annoyed that users turn to the mod creators when their mod don't work in OpenMW. They should of course head here first since it could be a bug in the engine.

The header "Didn’t Bethesda have a problem with non-PC ports of Morrowind? [...]" comes a bit from nowhere. I know that it is about the Android port, but that is just because I know the project well enough. If you don't know this, you have to read through most of the text before you run into the word "Android" the first time.

Otherwise, looks good to me.

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing: Since scrawl's Patreon is gone, why not add AnyOldName3's new patreon?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If we're adding Patreons, is it just me, David and Koncord who have one right now?
JohnMaster

Post by JohnMaster »

The other one is DestinedToDie, working on the Example Suite.

https://www.patreon.com/destinedtodie
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I knew something had changed with that, but I thought it had been shut down rather than moved from monthly to per-creation
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

raevol wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 05:13 Looks like you can't view this unless you are signed in to wordpress.
Sorry, gave the wrong link. Use this one.
lysol wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 09:05 I like it! One major thing I have to say I dislike though: The justified text. There is not enough text under each header to justify (no pun intended) justified text IMO. I think justified text works in articles with lots of text, especially when the text is divided in several columns.
Not sure why it was justified in the first place. I've brought it back to left aligned.
lysol wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 09:05 Under the header "Can OpenMW run Morrowind mods?", maybe we could get some info there that we want reports if mods don't work in OpenMW. As been discussed before here on the forums, many modders are annoyed that users turn to the mod creators when their mod don't work in OpenMW. They should of course head here first since it could be a bug in the engine.
Well, I did tell them to post on the mod compatibility sub-forum. If that's not good enough, write an alternative and we can put it up.
lysol wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 09:05 The header "Didn’t Bethesda have a problem with non-PC ports of Morrowind? [...]" comes a bit from nowhere. I know that it is about the Android port, but that is just because I know the project well enough. If you don't know this, you have to read through most of the text before you run into the word "Android" the first time.
The header is kind of a legacy of the old FAQ. I've changed it to "Does Bethesda Softworks approve of this project? Won't you guys have legal problems?". The whole question of non-PC ports of Morrowind seems kind of odd to me as well.
lysol wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 09:05 EDIT: Oh, and one more thing: Since scrawl's Patreon is gone, why not add AnyOldName3's new patreon?
AnyOldName3 wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 11:31 If we're adding Patreons, is it just me, David and Koncord who have one right now?
JohnMaster wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 12:24 The other one is DestinedToDie, working on the Example Suite.

https://www.patreon.com/destinedtodie
Added. Let me know if you want the format to change.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Thunderforge wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 04:10 Sorry, gave the wrong link. Use this one.
Sorry, I know I am being annoying, but is that the updated one? That one still hsa ST3C stuff on it, is there a newer version we should look at?

If not,
OpenMW is a free, open source and modern engine based which reimplements and extends the one that runs the 2002 open-world RPG The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. The engine comes with its own editor , called OpenMW-CS which allows the user to edit or create their own mods or original games. Both OpenMW-CS and OpenMW are written from scratch and aren’t made to support any third party programs the original Morrowind engine uses to improve its functionality.
should be something like
OpenMW is a free, open source, and modern engine which re-implements and extends the 2002 Gamebryo engine for the open-world role-playing game The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Like the Construction Set for the original Morrowind Engine, OpenMW comes with its own editor, called OpenMW-CS, which allows the user to edit or create their own mods or original games. Both OpenMW and OpenMW-CS are written from scratch, and aren't made to support any third party programs that have been added to the original Morrowind engine to improve its functionality.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

raevol wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 08:42
Thunderforge wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 04:10 Sorry, gave the wrong link. Use this one.
Sorry, I know I am being annoying, but is that the updated one? That one still hsa ST3C stuff on it, is there a newer version we should look at?
That is indeed the new draft. I assume you're talking about the question "Can I play Morrowind with OpenMW on other platforms like the Raspberry Pi?", which still has the ST3C stuff in (but note that the question about when the S3TC patent expires is removed). It's unclear to me if that still applies, given that S3TC is relevant to both software and hardware. Can anybody commend on whether or not it still applies to the Raspberry Pi?
raevol wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 08:42
OpenMW is a free, open source and modern engine based which reimplements and extends the one that runs the 2002 open-world RPG The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. The engine comes with its own editor , called OpenMW-CS which allows the user to edit or create their own mods or original games. Both OpenMW-CS and OpenMW are written from scratch and aren’t made to support any third party programs the original Morrowind engine uses to improve its functionality.
should be something like
OpenMW is a free, open source, and modern engine which re-implements and extends the 2002 Gamebryo engine for the open-world role-playing game The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Like the Construction Set for the original Morrowind Engine, OpenMW comes with its own editor, called OpenMW-CS, which allows the user to edit or create their own mods or original games. Both OpenMW and OpenMW-CS are written from scratch, and aren't made to support any third party programs that have been added to the original Morrowind engine to improve its functionality.
Changed. We probably should mention Bethesda Softworks in there somewhere too.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

S3TC will never implemented on the RPi, that comes for Eric Anholt himself as it was never in hardware (VC4) to begin with. So even if the patent is expired, and the driver supports it, the hardware will not... so no hardware decoding.

That means that upstream OSG 3.6 or our version of OSG 3.4 will detect that the hardware doesn't support it and decode in software before uploading to the GPU.

In theory, pink textures should be a problem of the past... such as old drivers and distros.

also... let's try to be consistent since on GitHub, GitLab and other places it reads:
OpenMW is an open-source open-world RPG game engine that supports playing Morrowind.
With the emphasis on the fact that it is a game engine in it's own right and not made to just run Morrowind.