Revamp OpenMW PR content

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
jvoisin

Re: Revamp OpenMW PR content

Post by jvoisin »

Since Gitlab is supporting mermaid natively, it would be nice to put those graphs in it ♥
lysol

Post by lysol »

I took the liberty of messing around with your flowchart Ravenwing. Good job with it. Mermaid is quite nice to work with.

I mostly just added some style tags to stuff to try it out and edited the text according to Thunderforge and Atahualpa. Couldn't find any good way to get the macOS, GNU/Linux to get further up though. It's not that easy to do when you're just editing it in text. I tried making an info bubble that said "Your computer runs OpenMW natively!" that was pointed to before going straight down to the "Yes!" box, but that didn't really help much.

Here's how it looks.

Edit here.

Take some inspiration, use all of it or use none of it Ravenwing, it's all fine anyway. :)
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Haha 10 brownie points to lysol for the moon and star at the top!

But yes, for the most part I agree with the suggestions. Could have sworn I put a note to remember to write statics rather than land. Unfortunately I don’t think there is a way to vertically align the in-arrow text. The OSs are the worst offenders. Do you all think this is bad enough to move to something else though? From our recent experience with the RTD docs, there’s a pretty big advantage to using text-based stuff over images, especially if the goal is GitLab.

Atahualpa, do you mind doing a quick proof of concept with Latex so we can see what the markup would look like?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Ravenwing wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 01:27 Atahualpa, do you mind doing a quick proof of concept with Latex so we can see what the markup would look like?
Here's a LaTeX version of the flow chart. - I tried to minimise both external dependencies (packages) and source code. What do you think?

If we decide to use LaTeX, I'll implement a switch for different language versions of the flow chart. This way, we'd only need one .tex file and could update all versions at once.

OpenMW_FlowChart.pdf
(135.55 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
OpenMW_FlowChart.txt
Originally a .tex file, of course.
(6.11 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
lysol

Post by lysol »

That one was really good Atahualpa. Didn't take up much space either. Very well compressed. I'd say let's see if we could do something similar in Mermaid first (I mean, github/gitlab updating would rock really). If not, this did look really good, so it would be worth it.

One thing though, I'd like that this bubble:

Code: Select all

Do you have to
play with fancy
graphical effects? 1
Would say

Do you have to
play with the best
possible graphics? 1
instead. Or something along the lines of that. OpenMW already have some fancy graphical effects, it's just that MGE XE has even better graphical effects.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

I assume that footnote 4 of the Latex flowchart should be a hyperlink?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

lysol wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 14:36 That one was really good Atahualpa. Didn't take up much space either. Very well compressed. I'd say let's see if we could do something similar in Mermaid first (I mean, github/gitlab updating would rock really). If not, this did look really good, so it would be worth it.
Thanks, lysol. Let's see what Mermaid can do for us.
lysol wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 14:36 One thing though, I'd like that this bubble:

Do you have to
play with fancy
graphical effects? 1
Would say

Do you have to
play with the best
possible graphics? 1
instead. Or something along the lines of that. OpenMW already have some fancy graphical effects, it's just that MGE XE has even better graphical effects.
Agreed.
Thunderforge wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 15:25 I assume that footnote 4 of the Latex flowchart should be a hyperlink?
Yes, but I wasn't quite sure what page I should link to. The MCP wiki page is a bit over the top for a quick decision IMO.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Yes, this looks very nice. We can still do version control, it just won’t be natively rendered. I say let’s keep this in our back pocket and if I get mad at mermaid we can focus on this.

Thanks Atahualpa!
lysol

Post by lysol »

I had a go. I tried to just copy the stuff you did Atahualpa, but Mermaid did not draw the lines as efficient as you did. Haha..

Super long url
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

lysol wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 22:38 I had a go. I tried to just copy the stuff you did Atahualpa, but Mermaid did not draw the lines as efficient as you did. Haha..

Super long url
I think that this one might be a step back from this one from Aug 8.

The empty nodes are kind of odd. For instance, answer "Yes" on "Do they need any other programs that modify Morrowind.exe?" takes you through two empty nodes before being told that OpenMW isn't right for you. Also, I took the first node of "Should you try OpenMW?" to be a question, then followed the line on the far right to the very bottom, looking for a choice, and then coming to "Please wait for the next release and check again". I had missed the direction of the arrow and thought it was a choice. Honestly, I think that the circular link could be deleted because people know it can be reviewed in the future.

Also, all Yes/No questions have "Yes" as the first option and "No" as the second option, except for "Do you value stability over everything else?", which has it reversed. I guess I'd prefer a simpler chart over one that has a consistent Yes/No position, but if we can have both, that would be ideal.

That said, I think the text is good. I think the issue now is presentation, rather than content.