Needed documentation areas

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Ravenwing

Needed documentation areas

Post by Ravenwing »

I'm starting a new job in a few weeks, but will have some time off until then, so I figured it would be a good time to tackle some more of the documentation.

I would prefer people use the Documentation sub forum for these kinds of requests in the future, but figured I'd ask here for higher visibility since there hasn't been any activity there in a long time.

Are there any areas that need more attention than others for user docs? I had started writing a "How to contribute to documentation" guide that I believe is almost done, but I was having some problems so I may try and resurrect that. An OpenMW installation guide would not go amiss, but we already describe it pretty well as far as I can tell on the wiki, so not sure how urgently we care about that.

And psi29a, do you know if anyone has been messing around with the RTD theme? I noticed some of the lists have font sizes that don't match with the rest of the theme, as seen here. I'm sure I can figure that out, but it will take me longer to sort out.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Needed documentation areas

Post by psi29a »

No, the theme all coordinated on RTD side. We don't generate that.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Hmm, that's what I thought. Are you seeing what I'm seeing? The font in lists is significantly larger than surrounding paragraph style.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Don't think so, I'm using chrome's inspect and font size for both the paragraph and for the text in the lists are 16, can you double check? What I do see is that the margins in lists are slightly larger than a paragraphs is, I'm assuming to add distance between list elements. Obviously if the lists are multi-line then it looks odd.
Starsheep

Post by Starsheep »

Talking about docs for end-users, I don't know if you are aware of beta.modding-openmw.com.
A whole modding guide specifically written for OpenMW
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

I was not! The site actually looks like it was put together really well. It's too bad they didn't spend the time to improve our official docs, but the scope is very different than what we want to provide. I'm sure it will be very helpful to many users, perhaps we should link there in the wiki.

Quick side question. Do you guys think it would be a huge problem if I focused on how to do things in Windows first? It slows me down big time trying to figure out how things would be done in Linux.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It would help to stop people complaining that we don't care about Windows users, but that in and of itself isn't enough to make it magically the best option. In the case where you became busy before you were finished, I'm not sure if it would be better to have complete documentation for one OS and very little for the others or if having partial documentation for all would be better.