Official Diaspora* OpenMW account?

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
drummyfish

Official Diaspora* OpenMW account?

Post by drummyfish »

Hello,

I just thought if we maybe could create an official OpenMW account at Diaspora social network and add it to outreach? The network is gaining more and more users now after the Facebook scandals, and basically everyone there is an open-source fan, so I think this would bring more people. The account could be a simple bot that would be just make reposts from the OpenMW website RSS or something like that. There are such bots written already.

Just an idea, let me know what you think :)
raevol

Re: Official Diaspora* OpenMW account?

Post by raevol »

That thing is still around? I'm impressed!
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

raevol wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 09:23 That thing is still around? I'm impressed!
Yeah I know, few people... but very dedicated to FOSS :) Would be enough to just make the Twitter account also post to D*, no extra work beyond that.

EDIT: As I'm looking into it, it is easy to crosspost from D* to Twitter, but it's harder the other way around. But could be done like this:
  1. Make an RSS feed from OpenMW Twitter using e.g. https://twitrss.me/.
  2. Set up an RSS D* bot, e.g. https://github.com/fourier/rss-bot-diasp. Would require a server to run on.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Another thing you might want to look into is the steemit platform; they have a fairly robust open source community and it's fairly active as far as alternative social media goes.
HeadClot

Post by HeadClot »

I have an account on steemit. Very nice platform :)
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

I also think we need an account on PeerTube. Yes, I have a thing for federated networks :)
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Why not register up and get ownership of the #freenode_#openmw:matrix.org room as well in that case?

Matrix is a federated chat network after all. ;)
testman
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/testman42

Post by testman »

From what I see there is already registered OpenMW Matrix room - https://matrix.to/#/#openmw:matrix.org and it is bridged to IRC I believe.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Ah, it's bridged through a Matterbridge bot instead of the actual freenode bridge that exists. It would probably be better to gain control of the already bridged freenode room instead, as that will let people use their actual IRC accounts on freenode, and not get bridged twice through first Matrix -> Matterbridge and then Matterbridge -> IRC.

It should really just be a matter of contacting the IRC bridge people on Matrix to get the help necessary to do such a thing, or to maybe even move the actual bridge onto #openmw:matrix.org.

(Examples of rooms that have received such treatment are #openbmc:matrix.org and #freenode_#flatpak:matrix.org, which are still the official freenode bridge rooms with additional Matrix-specific data on top. #theforeman:matrix.org and #theforeman-dev:matrix.org are examples of new rooms that have had the official bridge attached onto them afterwards, where there are still #freenode_#theforeman:matrix.org etc rooms for the regular bridge)
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

I'm really captured by the idea of PeerTube - would it be okay for me to unofficially reupload some of the YT videos there? Could we license them under CC-BY-SA or something to make these things simpler?

Atahualpa is in charge of the videos, right? Are you by any chance reading this, Atahualpa? Okay or not okay? :)