OpenMW 0.45.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

OpenMW 0.45.0

Post by Zini »

0.44.0 isn't out yet, but since we make so much progress with 0.45.0 I'll start with this thread anyway.

We already have 32 closed issues, more than a third of the total issues for 0.44.0. A lot of these are more substantial changes with more potential for things to go wrong unexpectedly. We definitely will need a lot of testing on this one. But if everything works out we have another massive release on our hands.

I recently saw a life-sign from unelsson. He will not immediately continue with his work on the editor, but it looks like we can expect more from him in the not too far future. Still, we need more help on the editor, if we want to have OpenMW 1.0 and OpenMW-CS 1.0 ready at the same time.
HeadClot

Re: OpenMW 0.45.0

Post by HeadClot »

Hey,

I want to contribute to OpenCS but I am a 3D Artist. What can I do to help?

Happy to see that OpenMW and OpenCS is moving at such a fast rate. Looking forward to the 1.0 release. :)
Zini

Post by Zini »

No work for a 3D artist on OpenMW-CS, I am afraid. The example suite project (viewforum.php?f=25) may have need for an 3D artist.
austen1000

Post by austen1000 »

I was honestly beginning to worry the project was going to fall apart from the buyout for a little while there. Glad to see work is still going
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Although I think everyone could have done without the drama. If anything, it's kinda given everyone the motivation to prove all the Negative-Nancies wrong.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

We're an open source project and that comes with the territory. We should probably put out a call for more developers with the next news post. We don't need to mention why, exactly.

We should also write down somewhere what happened, as future project fans may want to read about it in the history of the project. It IS interesting that a largely publicized buyout caused as far reaching consequences for a major developer of ours.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Greendogo wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 08:14 We should also write down somewhere what happened, as future project fans may want to read about it in the history of the project. It IS interesting that a largely publicized buyout caused as far reaching consequences for a major developer of ours.
Who isn't with us anymore? Are you talking about scrawl? I thought he was still going to be involved just more indirectly. Sorry, I stopped following the GitHub thread once it devolved into multiple pages of shouting.
Zini wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 17:38 We already have 32 closed issues, more than a third of the total issues for 0.44.0. A lot of these are more substantial changes with more potential for things to go wrong unexpectedly. We definitely will need a lot of testing on this one. But if everything works out we have another massive release on our hands.
This is great news! I know I haven't done jack to help anything for a long time, but I'm starting a new job in a few weeks and have some time off in between so I'll probably try and get some more work into the docs.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Scrawl had already stepped back to a barely involved at all level, and during The Great Kerfuffle declared that he wasn't going to be involved at all any more. I'm not sure if we think he might be willing to do a once-over on Zini's post-1.0 document, but everything else is most definitely off the table for the foreseeable future.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I think that if Blue delivers on his windows only fork that Scrawl will deliver on his linux only fork just out of spite. ;)
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

HeadClot wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 21:58 I want to contribute to OpenCS but I am a 3D Artist. What can I do to help?
Probably no way to help directly, but you can at least test the quality of the 3D view and manipulation and give feedback, since you have experience with that. Other than that I'd also like if you helped the example suite project, that's where you could shine :)