OpenMW 1.x suggestions for the future.

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
XenonCoder

OpenMW 1.x suggestions for the future.

Post by XenonCoder »

Hi everyone :D

I have been following the project for years, and I am happy to see that it has improved so much.

They are working on dynamic shadows, and they have also improved water shaders and other things (even some character textures).

If we want to make OpenMW a unique and complete project, here is the solution:
  • Be able to create and build your own game from scratch, free of Bethesda’s intellectual property (Morrowind).
  • Improve the interface and journal system (Possibility of translating the launcher into other languages, including Morrowind).
  • Improve game physics and AI.
  • Improved game mechanics and combat.
These features are important for 1.0 (in my opinion). Graphical effects can be implemented in the future, currently only npc / player models with better textures should be improved.

OpenMW-CS is the key to success! although it is currently in the alpha phase I used it and has great potential, it is quite simple (even just to create new areas and objects with a simple drag & drop).

OpenMW-CS means new content that can be developed by non-programmers in parallel with the development of OpenMW.

Only I get excited when I use OpenMW-CS reflecting on the potential of this tool?

OpenMW is a fantastic project, which must absolutely grow to give the possibility to open source community to create a new gdr written from scratch that can be extended and improved easily thanks to OpenMW-CS. Do not underestimate this aspect, in my opinion it is the most important and interesting aspect of the whole project.

I do not want a simple re-implementation of Morrowind, OpenMW already allows to run Morrowind improving graphics, AI and game physics. We focus our efforts on creating an independent project free from any protected content.

Thank you all.
AnyOldName3

Re: OpenMW 1.x suggestions for the future.

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The first bullet point is more or less the goal for the 1.0 release of OpenMW's CS (as that's the thing that can actually create games) but it's way behind the engine, so it's likely that we'll have that done a long time later. The other things have always been post-1.0 goals and will remain post-1.0 goals. 1.0 has always been designated as the time at which OpenMW completely replaces the vanilla Morrowind.exe without major issues and it's staying that way, but making the engine more flexible is something that requires a lot of thought and planning in order to do it without needing to come back and redo it a few years later. We don't want to introduce features which we're then going to remove, and there's no point delaying the 1.0 release so an arbitrary subset of features gets finished.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Actually, OpenMW-CS is currently catching up quite a lot. We recently get a new developer working on it (unelsson) and a few more people helping out with smaller tasks. If nothing else goes wrong the next release will contain a major upgrade for OpenMW-CS.
XenonCoder

Post by XenonCoder »

I agree absolutely! my reasoning was just that. Implement version 1.0 as a base (stable) engine and then develop it further, making it something unique and completely independent. Is OpenMW-CS back? I know very well, I follow the project carefully, and I hope that new programmers and graphic designers will be hired, we need resources and a lot of effort to satisfy all the ideas.

I look forward to translating the launcher and Morrowind. Translation into various languages ​​is very important, because Morrowind is a very vast and complex game and it would be nice to play it (at last) in your mother tongue (I am Italian).

I also checked the project roadmap, the next version will be 0.44.0 and I assume that 1.0 can arrive next year without further release.

Thanks for the answers, I just need to understand some things, because I would be really interested in giving my contribution to the project. I have actively collaborated on other projects in the past (Wesnoth, Flare engine, 0.a.d, minetest and various mods).

I think I will make icons for OpenMW-CS since they are not currently in the editor.

Happy to be here ;)
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Look up the OpenMW-ExampleSuite and the OpenMW-Template, a lot of work has gone into those already. No beth content in there. CC-SA compatible.
XenonCoder

Post by XenonCoder »

Thanks, this information helps me to better understand what to do (and how to do it in the right way). it's nice to see an active and available community, this is the right spirit to do a good job :D
lysol

Post by lysol »

XenonCoder wrote: 07 May 2018, 13:45 I think I will make icons for OpenMW-CS since they are not currently in the editor.
Note that these just got implemented in the PR here. Just FYI.
XenonCoder

Post by XenonCoder »

Fantastic, the new interface icons are very beautiful. I dedicate myself to something else, I am in the process of study and extreme research :D
I need to settle into the project, follow the roadmap and figure out what to do. I note with pleasure that you are experimenting with new 3D models using make human, using blender and make human for years and I know them well.

Currently I'm writing documentation in Italian on my little blog, in addition to the pdf in Italian for OpenMW-CS written entirely in latex (latex use to lay out anything).

I will not delay to give my contribution, so I want to organize well and create something useful that I can maintain over time.

Thank you all.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I think you'll find you mean LaTeX. Latex is a kind of rubber. LaTeX is a typesetting language with the requirement that you become very pedantic about the capitalisation of its name if you want it to actually compile.
XenonCoder

Post by XenonCoder »

I have been using LaTeX for a long time, and I use it for any kind of printable document. I like it because it allows you to create documents with a much higher quality than any word processor.

My mistake I wrote latex instead of LaTeX :D