It's really important to have graphical parity with MGE.

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
AnyOldName3

Re: It's really important to have graphical parity with MGE.

Post by AnyOldName3 »

As I've said before, as long as the new assets are made with a PBR workflow, they can be baked into a Phong-friendly format and used in the current engine while still being viable for a PBR-shaded future version.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Oh right. Forgot about that.
halbe

Post by halbe »

lysol wrote: 11 May 2018, 21:00 Personally, I think it's kind of a waste of time to make a total replacer for the Morrowind assets before OpenMW implements a PBR shader. When this gets implemented however, making replacements for all of Morrowinds assets would be awesome. And a hell of a lot of work.

It would be impossible to do unless there was a well organized team working on it, and it would require someone to begin the project so that other artists get inspired and feel that it is actually worth putting their time into.
If you make assets with specular/gloss maps then you can easily convert them to be PBR assets later on since the PBR equivalents are the same thing just handled differently (and I think the specular is inverted). As long as you don't try to imitate the specularity in the diffuse texture like the vanilla assets then it should be fine.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If you make assets with specular/gloss maps then you can easily convert them to be PBR assets later on since the PBR equivalents are the same thing just handled differently (and I think the specular is inverted). As long as you don't try to imitate the specularity in the diffuse texture like the vanilla assets then it should be fine.
This is a common misconception, but it's also sort of like saying you can jam a car's fuel pump into your chest as an artificial heart as they're both sort of the same thing (i.e. wrong and stupid). You might get it to sort-of work as you would get blood pumped around your body, but everything would be very wrong.
thrawn05

Post by thrawn05 »

As a lurker I prefer not to post, I rather leave that to those more involved in the project. However I feel that as a "user", I liked to side with the devs here and say that goal #1 is to make an open source game engine that is on par with the original Morrowind engine minus the technical bugs that Bethesda had left behind. All of the other fancy stuff should remain for later/optional.

Also I'd like to say to all those that have worked on this code, thank you. There are those of us that appreciate all that you guys/gals have done to get us this far!
Jwcolby54

Post by Jwcolby54 »

On a long dead thread...

1) I reinstalled morrowind etc from my very old source. LOTS OF BUGS.
2) went looking for help and stumbled across OMW.
3) OMG I am sold. This thing is so stable. It runs higher resolutions. It runs the massive remakes of the content that are out there.

I for one don't care what version number it is. I will say that as a dev having a major release number says "no longer beta". Beyond that I am just pleased how well it runs.

I am not a game dev but it seems like content and engine are distinct and different. Omw feels like an engine project and feels like it's solid.
C3pa

Post by C3pa »

This might help when implementing certain things: https://developer.nvidia.com/gpugems/GP ... ref01.html
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Don't worry - anyone who's capable of implementing shiny new graphical features has probably already heard of GPU Gems 3.
lysol

Post by lysol »

And with AnyOldName3's reply to this necro we can close this discussion. It has been dead since May anyway.

Feel free to discuss this topic here at the forums though by starting a new thread.

Thread locked