PR Team for OpenMW

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
ElderTroll

Re: PR Team for OpenMW

Post by ElderTroll »

Raevol,

I saw your OpenMW post in forum section for project recruitment on Ogre3d. Could you update that page post 0.12.0 release to be a snazzy request for 0.13.0 developers?
raevol

Post by raevol »

Definitely- we want to hold off until 0.12 is live though?

Also I sent an email to the openMW email with the contents "I rawr sometimes too!" My email uses my IRL name, so it won't be from raevol, except that I mention that in the subject...
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

You can update it now, but let's do another update for 0.12.0.

OpenMW's release cycles are prolonged, but we can keep up community interest by posting Sir's weekly update around the web or maybe consolidate the progress of two weeks/a month into a single post (since open source projects move at a slower pace). I stumbled across this website the other day and besides having an amazing looking game and business strategy, these guys are doing top notch community engagement with their weekly technical and artistic blogs http://blog.wolfire.com/ It's fascinating to watch the progress. I need a better computer, but I'm going to preorder that game.

Whenever relevant it would be nice if our dev's or power users could take screen shots and short videos of new features (prior to full releases).

What do you guys think?
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

Jeez 0o
This is completly off topic, but someone has to convert this animations for the beasts in Morrowind.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Alright, I'll do a post for 0.12 soon. Can't do it now, please remind me.

I'm definitely with you on having regular updates for people. Sir's efforts on the website blog have been awesome. The more public we can make our progress, the more interest we are going to get. Screenshots and videos are gold for this.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Alright Raevol,

Did you two receive access to the google docs?
raevol

Post by raevol »

Indeed. :)

Ogre thread updated!

EDIT: Not sure how you want the google doc updated. Let me know.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Cool, just checked out the ogre page. :)

The reasoning behind sharing documents is in case I (or someone else) disappears (a problem in the volunteer work) from OpenMW that the team doesn't need to recreate it from scratch. There's a username and a password and the stock materials that might need a little contextual editing, and that streamlining now should make it easier in the future for whoever is doing it. It's not that I plan on my involvement being short lived, but I've seen many volunteers who drop out of projects who haven't documented their work or tried to make it sustainable. So it's like, "Well, that was great for that year and a half you were doing that job... but now we're basically back at step 1."

But yeah, edit them up if you find anything wrong/missing/ or poorly articulated.
Zini

Post by Zini »

About the OGRE thread:
Our terrain dev returned to us, and is working on getting terrain back up to where it was in our D version, before we switched to C/C++
There is no language with the name C/C++. Calling it that is usually a good indicator for extreme incompetence. The name of the language is C++.

Edit: Please don't get the above statement wrong. I didn't meant to call anyone on this thread incompetent.
gus

Post by gus »

Maybe the image with water/terrain should be added to the ogre showcase thread?

edit: nevermind, it's not in the showcase thread, so no need to add an image. btw, much more pple check the showcase forum than the recruitment forum.