OpenMW 0.44.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Capostrophic

Re: OpenMW 0.44.0

Post by Capostrophic »

having shadows in 0.44 could help bug finding
Wait what.
I mean, in what way would they directly or indirectly help in finding bugs?
if build your stuff in a scalable way, you would probably not have many problems if you need to replace chunks in the future
Not sure why would that be necessary, so define scalability if you're not just using it as a buzzword. I imagine the current general structure will be fine as it is even after the great dehardcoding.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

You've got what he's saying backwards. If shadows are included in 0.44, more of the bugs with shadows will be noticed.
ajira2

Post by ajira2 »

I hope shadows make it into OpenMW 0.44. I'm looking forward for them.

I share the view that having shadows now will help debug them or find potential bugs *with them*, checked by multiple users in different circumstances.

Also it will help bring in new developers and modders.
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

Also chiming in to say I would love to see shadows in 0.44. Damn, OpenMW has come quite some way even in the fairly brief time I've been using it. It's awesome.
lysol

Post by lysol »

While I actually agree that waiting for shadows would be a good thing, you need to remember that using the latest nightly is a very very simple way of getting the shadows even if they get merged two weeks after 0.44 is released. So even if they don't get merged before 0.44, it's not that much of a big deal.
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

lysol wrote: 29 May 2018, 07:15 While I actually agree that waiting for shadows would be a good thing, you need to remember that using the latest nightly is a very very simple way of getting the shadows even if they get merged two weeks after 0.44 is released. So even if they don't get merged before 0.44, it's not that much of a big deal.
Well, yeah, I use the daily PPA myself, so I'm not missing out on any updates regardless (well, until the next time it clunks out on us at least), but having it in a release version may be rather significant for gaining more users. Of course, not knowing the statistics on this, I can't be too sure. Maybe there would be no difference.
jonimacarroni

Post by jonimacarroni »

Capostrophic wrote: 27 May 2018, 22:40...
I haven't checked the code for the shadows, so I have no idea how the implementation is being done. I was just saying that as my own take on what AnyOldName3 was previously saying about being wary of putting shadows in too early, for the fear of having to make some future structural changes. I would assume major changes in class structure and/or methods is what he would be referring to, hence why I said what I did.
AnyOldName3 wrote: 28 May 2018, 00:11 You've got what he's saying backwards. If shadows are included in 0.44, more of the bugs with shadows will be noticed.
Also this.
Last edited by jonimacarroni on 29 May 2018, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
jonimacarroni

Post by jonimacarroni »

lysol wrote: 29 May 2018, 07:15 While I actually agree that waiting for shadows would be a good thing, you need to remember that using the latest nightly is a very very simple way of getting the shadows even if they get merged two weeks after 0.44 is released. So even if they don't get merged before 0.44, it's not that much of a big deal.
I would agree to that if anyone made a guide on how to enable all the optimization flags that are disabled in the nightlies by default.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The Windows builds are now built in Release mode, so have all the optimisations that Microsoft recommends. The only change is that they're Unity builds, which could theoretically break things, but right now, doesn't seem to.
jonimacarroni

Post by jonimacarroni »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 29 May 2018, 23:34 The Windows builds are now built in Release mode, so have all the optimisations that Microsoft recommends. The only change is that they're Unity builds, which could theoretically break things, but right now, doesn't seem to.
Good to know that, thanks.