OpenMW 0.44.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Capostrophic

Re: OpenMW 0.44.0

Post by Capostrophic »

>If so, when will this feature be ready for release?

See this. Looks like there's still some work to do.

> we have 66 solved issues so far.

Much more are resolved, but not merged yet.

>There are no solved issues for OpenMW-CS yet

#1310 is sorta kinda resolved. Well, yeah, it's not much, but looks like the icon set may get completed and overhauled.

>We may lack interesting features.

Rounding up encumbrance is the next best thing since onion bread and the game is literally unplayable without it.

The problem with missing features is that there are not much of them, and the problem with not missing features is that you have to think up of actually interesting explicitly pre-1.0-worthy features.

IMO, while recast implementation may as well be finished in a close future shadows might have to wait until 0.45.0.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

There's a slim, but non-zero chance that I'll rewrite the whole adjustPerspectiveShadowMapCameraSettings function in the next week or two, and if I do and it does what I hope, we'll instantly be freed from a huge number of the remaining issues. It also might only fix a few things and still leave a load of extra work. I've spent the last few months not knowing if I'm two weeks from being done or several months.
raevol

Post by raevol »

My vote is to wait. We're showing progress on github and on the blog, in my view there's no need to do a release just as busy work. Aside from shadows, there's a few other interesting PRs open right now that will make for a more interesting release when they are merged.

But that's just my opinion! Happy to do a release if the team disagrees with me! :geek:
halbe

Post by halbe »

If we want cool features to show off, if anyone fixes this bug then I can release a mod I made to improve the combat system and maybe get some more hype going for OpenMW and therefore more developers. Here's a video that shows the limb damage, locational armor values, changes to fatigue, and improved enemy AI.
https://streamable.com/bf8dm

He jump attacks because he has high acrobatics, he strafes clockwise to me because I'm strafing clockwise to him, he runs towards me when I get aggressive, starts limping when I cripple his leg, gets knocked out when I hit him over the head, and the damage reduction and sound of being hit is based on where I hit him (so if I hit him in the chest and he has no chest armor, damage isn't reduced and a flesh wound sound is played).

I've also been working on climbing recently too but fortunately I don't need any bugs to be fixed for it to work (other than my own :D ), here's a video of it (recorded before I made the stamina work like Breath of the Wild's climbing)
https://streamable.com/erxu6

If anyone wants to help test this stuff or include it in the release video let me know, also let me know ASAP if you fix that bug because otherwise I can't make the NPCs move around without globally toggling AI since they constantly interrupt animations I play on them.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

The Advanced Settings Menu is a new feature that's exciting enough to have gotten a news release. But I'm okay with waiting for now for more things.
jonimacarroni

Post by jonimacarroni »

halbe wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 00:58 If we want cool features to show off, if anyone fixes this bug then I can release a mod I made to improve the combat system and maybe get some more hype going for OpenMW and therefore more developers. Here's a video that shows the limb damage, locational armor values, changes to fatigue, and improved enemy AI.
https://streamable.com/bf8dm

He jump attacks because he has high acrobatics, he strafes clockwise to me because I'm strafing clockwise to him, he runs towards me when I get aggressive, starts limping when I cripple his leg, gets knocked out when I hit him over the head, and the damage reduction and sound of being hit is based on where I hit him (so if I hit him in the chest and he has no chest armor, damage isn't reduced and a flesh wound sound is played).

I've also been working on climbing recently too but fortunately I don't need any bugs to be fixed for it to work (other than my own :D ), here's a video of it (recorded before I made the stamina work like Breath of the Wild's climbing)

If anyone wants to help test this stuff or include it in the release video let me know, also let me know ASAP if you fix that bug because otherwise I can't make the NPCs move around without globally toggling AI since they constantly interrupt animations I play on them.
That looks absolutely phenomenal. I hope the mentioned bug does get fixed, I would love to play Morrowind with deeper combat.

As for climbing, it definitely needs some animation (even some camera wobble) and slower overall speed.
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Br0ken wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 14:15 By the way, OSG 3.6 stable is released.
Can we update OSG-on-steroids fork?
Dyskos

Post by Dyskos »

halbe wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 00:58 I've also been working on climbing recently too but fortunately I don't need any bugs to be fixed for it to work (other than my own :D ), here's a video of it (recorded before I made the stamina work like Breath of the Wild's climbing)
That looks fantastic!

I disagree that climbing should be slower, but then again, climbing in Daggerfall wasn't that slow.

I don't know if it uses anything, but I think speed should be determined by your skill in agility, and strength/endurance/willpower should determine the chance you have of potentially slipping while climbing. Low levels will have a harder time climbing quickly and will fall often, but as you level up, climbing gets faster and more consistent.

Just a thought about how to balance the skill. :) I'd be more than happy to test this out, myself!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Hmmmmm I'm going to see if I can beat the debian maintainers to it and gain the reigns of that project.