OpenMW 0.44.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

OpenMW 0.44.0

Post by Zini »

Thread for next release, for once not horribly late. I am proud of myself.

We are making really good progress and OpenMW 1.0 is getting into reach. We already have a bunch of bug fixes ready; almost good enough for another small release.

Unfortunately little progress on OpenMW-CS since we started the 0.43.0 release process (exactly 0 completed or WIP issues on the 0.44.0 roadmap so far). It looks more and more like we are going to have an OpenMW 1.0.0 release without an accompanying OpenMW-CS 1.0.0 release. And yes, that is a call to arms for all editor developers.

We are already too close to Christmas to even consider having another release this year. So probably early spring 2018 for 0.44.0.

btw. I have mostly put the work on the new merge tool (announced a while back) on hold for now and I am focussing on the post 1.0 design document. 1.0 is approaching quickly and I don't want to be caught flatfooted. In case anyone is interested, at 36 pages now and probably a bit more than halfway done.
drummyfish

Re: OpenMW 0.44.0

Post by drummyfish »

Zini wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 16:37 btw. I have mostly put the work on the new merge tool (announced a while back) on hold for now and I am focussing on the post 1.0 design document. 1.0 is approaching quickly and I don't want to be caught flatfooted. In case anyone is interested, at 36 pages now and probably a bit more than halfway done.
Great job. I admit I got caught in the trap of adding uber features to OpenMW recently. I promise I'll take a look at the editor and then back to fixing 1.0 bugs :)
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

*golf clap*
raevol

Post by raevol »

How exciting!!

What are the chances we can get shadows into 0.44? And if not, what features *can* we get in? Having a bugfix-only release will be a little discouraging.
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

raevol wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 20:09 What are the chances we can get shadows into 0.44? And if not, what features *can* we get in? Having a bugfix-only release will be a little discouraging.
Would be great to have shadows, I also hope to get my 360 screenshots there.
lysol

Post by lysol »

raevol wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 20:09 What are the chances we can get shadows into 0.44?
Yes, how's it going for you AnyOldName? I try to stay updated on Github in the shadows thread there, but it has become way too technical for my non-programmer brain now. But I take it it's hard to get it right..?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

raevol wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 20:09 And if not, what features *can* we get in? Having a bugfix-only release will be a little discouraging.
In case there are any volunteers, what about these features? Also, these would be nice to have:
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

Atahualpa wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 22:26 [*] Feature #3537: Water ripple vfx
This I may look at, I've already been thinking about it. For the simple, non-shadered water we will probably have to keep the current ripples. For the water shader we could change the behavior from emitting a ripple particle (current behavior) to sending info to the shader which would then render the ripples with the same function it renders the rain ripples, i.e. using what we already have, only the ripple would be bigger. It would also be an opportunity to improve the current ripple look which is kinda simple.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Currently, I'm trying to work out why when perspective shadow mapping is on (which is supposed to use a perspective transformation to light space in order to push more of the detail in the shadow map to things closer to the camera so one shadow map texel roughly corresponds to one screen pixel) the effect is far too strong. There's a lot of detail in the shadows (more than is really needed) at the start of each shadow map, and then basically none at the end of each shadow map. Unfortunately, the function that I think is the culprit isn't especially intuitive, so it's taking me a long time to understand what's happening, what's supposed to happen, and what the difference between those two things is.

Once that's sorted, there may or may not be more neck-deep-in-matrices issues that need resolving, and then the rest should be mostly just hooking things up to settings and hacking around some issues with fake light sources. I'd be surprised if shadows weren't done before 0.44 releases, and expect them to be done before the feature freeze. That said, I was also expecting to be finished by now until I wasn't, so something might change.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

drummyfish wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 22:59
This I may look at, I've already been thinking about it. [...]
That would be great! Your concept sounds feasible too -- although I'm not very familiar with that kind of stuff.
AnyOldName3 wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 23:08 I'd be surprised if shadows weren't done before 0.44 releases, and expect them to be done before the feature freeze. That said, I was also expecting to be finished by now until I wasn't, so something might change.
Bringing shadows back to OpenMW would be enough for a new version release (at least on the features' side). And there's no hurry: A release in late February / early March sounds realistic to me.