Gamepad Support Discussion Thread

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Greendogo

Re: Gamepad Support Discussion Thread

Post by Greendogo »

Since Morrowind is coming to the Xbone in 6 days, and my gf has an Xbone, I mightily intend to continue my Gamepad GUI research very soon.
augustt

Post by augustt »

Great! Sorry I never got those screenshots to you. Let us know how it runs on the X, because one the reasons I never got you those screenshots on 360 is that the framerate is literally headache inducing. :shock:
Mishtal

Post by Mishtal »

Zini wrote: 28 Nov 2017, 10:48 Not to rain on anyones parade, but a replacement of the vanilla GUI with something new and completely different is out of the question. This is Morrowind and the GUI is part of that. We want the vanilla experience to be available.
Some of us have never played on PC, and only played on original Xbox, such as myself.

For my, the vanilla GUI is the gamepad / Xbox GUI, and playing openmw is confusing and difficult because of the PC GUI.

*shrug*
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I'm going to do the research in the original engine with the intention of replicating the xbox interface.
thrawn05

Post by thrawn05 »

Zini wrote: 28 Nov 2017, 10:48 Just for the record, I agree that the original inventory UI is useless (not just for gamepads). The icons are too small, not distinguishable enough and and there are too many different ones that you could reliably identify an item by looking at the icon. That means you generally have to mouse over the icon and look at the tooltip for identification, which makes the whole thing as I said useless. I also agree that SkyUI-style style inventory UI would be a large improvement.
Maybe it's because I played too much of MW back in the day but I have no problems with inventory management of the PC GUI of MW and consider it far superior to Oblivion and Skyrim's GUI (even compared to SkyUI).

Please allow us mere ignorant mortals access to the original MW GUI and let any other kind of "improvements" be either separate mods or an option in the settings box.

*return to the lurking shadows*
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

@devs: Just doing a little research for whoever implements this down the road. Should the Gamepad GUI's be made separately from their keyboard-mouse counterparts in terms of the xml layout files and the mwgui cpp/hpp files or should they inhabit the same classes?

Example, if we look at dialogue, we have:
  • openmw/apps/openmw/mwgui/dialogue.cpp
  • openmw/apps/openmw/mwgui/dialogue.hpp
  • openmw/files/mygui/openmw_dialogue_window.layout
  • openmw/files/mygui/openmw_persuasion_dialog.layout
  • openmw/files/mygui/openmw_debug_window.skin.xml
As you can see, dialogue has its own window and a child window for dealing with persuasion. The layout of the dialogue window itself is established in the class Dialogue's constructor initialization list (where the name of the "*.layout" file is passed in). This seems like it would complicate the keyboard-mouse and gamepad-gui inhabiting the same classes. Thoughts?
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Another thing to consider: how will UI mods be affected by whatever solution we use to create a gamepad UI? Will we expect them to only work for normal UI and require adjustments for gamepad UI?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Yeah, I really don't understand yet how you would change the layout of a window to a new layout since that file is loaded in the initialization list...

Ideas?
HeadClot

Post by HeadClot »

Greendogo wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 09:38 Since Morrowind is coming to the Xbone in 6 days, and my gf has an Xbone, I mightily intend to continue my Gamepad GUI research very soon.
We could technically export OpenMW to Xbox one via the Xbox Creators Program.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/developers/creators-program
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

You have to integrate XBox Live to do that, and it's a proprietary library that I doubt is covered by the system library exemption, so you can't link OpenMW against it.