Launcher idea

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
hazelnot

Launcher idea

Post by hazelnot »

Hi, I've been playing OpenMW for a bit and I really like it, it runs faster than vanilla and it's all around a great idea to have an open-source version of an old game that was only made for Windows.

I'm a UI design student, and I thought I'd try my had at designing a new launcher for OpenMW, as the current one is pretty plain and inconsistent. I did however like the fact that the various pages of the launcher are displayed as tabs instead of opening a new window, so while it's based on the Bethesda launchers it keeps this from the OpenMW launcher.

I also sketched a new logo based on the ESO Morrowind one but I've been told that it's too close to the official one for Bethesda's comfort so feel free to ignore that >.>

raevol

Re: Launcher idea

Post by raevol »

I prefer the smaller tabs of the launcher we have now... no point in wasting that much screen space for a UI element that's not consistent with what people are familiar with.
hazelnot

Post by hazelnot »

The current launcher is certainly functional, but nothing fits with anything. I've never seen a tab menu like that before, especially one that mixes stock images with logos and system-themed icons, and most pages in the current launcher have a lot of wasted space. Not to mention the scroll texture that just kinda sits there on the Play tab.

I honestly feel like my version only feels like it wastes space because it's just a sketch, so I haven't really thought about scale.
Biboran

Post by Biboran »

There already was viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4520 request by me and there was some awesome concept by Thunderforge and for some time in bug tracker wss Feature to make "mcp like menu", but it dessapeared now.