Principles and Vision

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

Re: Principles and Vision

Post by Zini »

I don't necessarily agree. It's early to discuss, but not outrageously early. As you say, we don't have many feature requests because everyone's waiting for 1.0. A lot of threads in this subforum get killed pretty quickly because we simply tell people that their feature request won't even be considered until after 1.0 (maybe not in so many words, but in effect that's our main response). Once we hit 1.0, we no longer have that goal to shield us from the inevitable onslaught of everyone's pet features. I think it would be prudent, maybe not immediately, but soon, for the devs to discuss, hopefully with the community, what your immediate set of goals are for post-1.0. I think many of those goals are already pretty solidified, but to effectively stave off the influx of requests from new users, they should be clearly and publicly stated by release, not hidden within forum discussions. We're going to get a lot (relatively) of press with 1.0, and it will look a lot better if we aren't all arguing about our next steps when we get that increased traffic.
Still plenty of time. Remember, we need to finish up OpenMW-CS 1.0 too before we can start with post 1.0 development (beyond bug fixes).

Anyway, I started to write stuff down for post-1.0 development a while back (sitting at about 10 pages now). Still much more to do. Haven't even gotten to the good stuff. Unlikely that I can finish it this year. But next year should be possible.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Zini wrote: 16 Sep 2017, 13:03 Remember, we need to finish up OpenMW-CS 1.0 too before we can start with post 1.0 development (beyond bug fixes).
Ohhh, see I thought we had totally desynchronized development of the two. I didn't realize we were planning on getting to OpenMW 1.0, then pausing feature development until OpenMW-CS caught up. I don't love it, but to be honest, all of the reeeeally exciting stuff in terms of content will be able to happen only once the CS is fully functional and we've gone through the dehardcoding anyway.
Zini wrote: 16 Sep 2017, 13:03 Anyway, I started to write stuff down for post-1.0 development a while back (sitting at about 10 pages now). Still much more to do. Haven't even gotten to the good stuff. Unlikely that I can finish it this year. But next year should be possible.
OoOoOo! Very exciting, I can't wait to read some of it! I think 10 pages is certainly a good start lol, not like we're hitting 1.0 before the end of the year anyway. Is it possible we'll get a sneak peek sometime in the next few months?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Ravenwing wrote: 16 Sep 2017, 18:33 Ohhh, see I thought we had totally desynchronized development of the two. I didn't realize we were planning on getting to OpenMW 1.0, then pausing feature development until OpenMW-CS caught up.
Problem is, it's difficult to add the new post-1.0 features ("properly") without an editor that's able to expose those features to modders.
Zini

Post by Zini »

OoOoOo! Very exciting, I can't wait to read some of it! I think 10 pages is certainly a good start lol, not like we're hitting 1.0 before the end of the year anyway. Is it possible we'll get a sneak peek sometime in the next few months?
Sorry, probably not going to happen. I am constantly revising the stuff I have written and it will probably continue to change until the whole document is finished. I don't want to put out an early version that gives people the wrong ideas.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

On the topic of organization:

I'm working on a Bug Triaging Guidelines page that shall document all the processes for the bugtracker. While working on the description for categories I noticed that:

- PC/NPCs often overlaps either AI or Game Mechanics, and is not very useful either (doesn't say if it's a 'PC' or 'NPC' issue). Unless someone protests, I'm going to remove this category.
- Our use of 'Sound / Other Media' basically consisted exclusively of Sound issues with 'Other media' never being used. Rename to 'Sound'.
- 'Tools' is too vague. Given it's current use, I'm inclined to rename it to 'Installation Wizard'. The only other tools not covered by another category are mwiniimporter, esmtool and bsatool, thing is these are too small to contain any defects, or at least we're not seeing any :p
raevol

Post by raevol »

scrawl wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 20:18I'm working on a Bug Triaging Guidelines page that shall document all the processes for the bugtracker.
I should really make an effort to be able to contribute to Triaging. :| Bookmarking, will you let us know when you have it how you want it?
Zini

Post by Zini »

PC/NPCs often overlaps either AI or Game Mechanics, and is not very useful either (doesn't say if it's a 'PC' or 'NPC' issue). Unless someone protests, I'm going to remove this category.
Agreed!
Our use of 'Sound / Other Media' basically consisted exclusively of Sound issues with 'Other media' never being used. Rename to 'Sound'.
Well, there is video. We currently don't have video issues. But who knows what bugs will show up in the future?
'Tools' is too vague. Given it's current use, I'm inclined to rename it to 'Installation Wizard'. The only other tools not covered by another category are mwiniimporter, esmtool and bsatool, thing is these are too small to contain any defects, or at least we're not seeing any
Someone is an optimist here. Lets just say that I don't share your optimism.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I deleted PCs/NPCs and left the rest.
when you have it how you want it?
The answer is almost always 'never', but it should be close enough now, anyway.

https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... Guidelines

Hoping we can get more people on board now that it'll be under a badass name. Bug Triaging Squad, how awesome is that?
raevol

Post by raevol »

scrawl wrote: 18 Sep 2017, 20:40Bug Triaging Squad
The Bug Herders!

Insect Response Team!

The Ministry of Triage!

Bug Squad Alpha!

Hmm...
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »