Principles and Vision

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
raevol

Re: Principles and Vision

Post by raevol »

DecumusScotti wrote: 20 Sep 2017, 05:01 Now we're derailing this topic quickly :D
No this definitely falls under the umbrella of "Principles and Vision"! :lol:

I like Exterminators but I think the devs actually closing the bugs are the real exterminators here...
lambda

Post by lambda »

I cannot believe people have missed the obvious reference: parliament of bugs.
raevol

Post by raevol »

lambda wrote: 20 Sep 2017, 13:59 parliament of bugs.
Sooo I hadn't heard of this before but google is telling me it's something from House Telvanni. Do you have a source I can do some reading on?
Arakhor

Post by Arakhor »

I've found some stuff on UESP.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Arakhor wrote: 20 Sep 2017, 18:16 I've found some stuff on UESP.
Nice, thanks!
Zini

Post by Zini »

Little update: I am starting to write down stuff about the general de-hardcoding (cell/worldspace related de-hardcoding got its own section). At 21 pages now.
mattwla

Post by mattwla »

This thread has been an interesting read.

Here is my perspective on what's going on: OpenMW is open source. If someone wants to add a feature, they can add it with their own fork, and if they don't want to get anyones approval they can swap over to their own repo and release their own spins on the engine.

Now, I'm not going to say this isn't cool, but I sometimes worry about a future where someone who wants to play OpenMW has to choose between like 3 or 4 different popular repos of it.

I'm starting to think it isn't in OpenMW's best interest to start adding features, but instead it should be about opening up the engine for more modability. What I mean is, make it so more can be done without having to touch the source code. As soon as OpenMW starts hard coding features people will start clamoring for different hard coded features, and start looking for other binaries, that can fracture the community.

Now I will stop here, no one wants to hear a noob rant for too long.
lysol

Post by lysol »

mattwla wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 00:49 I'm starting to think it isn't in OpenMW's best interest to start adding features, but instead it should be about opening up the engine for more modability. What I mean is, make it so more can be done without having to touch the source code. As soon as OpenMW starts hard coding features people will start clamoring for different hard coded features, and start looking for other binaries, that can fracture the community.
People sometimes calls post 1.0 of OpenMW the time for "the great de-hardcoding". Guess why... ;) So don't worry.
mattwla

Post by mattwla »

Ah, I have heard that, I wasn't sure how official that goal was. Thanks for sharing.
xirsoi

Post by xirsoi »

Zini wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 18:23 Little update: I am starting to write down stuff about the general de-hardcoding (cell/worldspace related de-hardcoding got its own section). At 21 pages now.
What are the odds we could see that "soon"-ish?