OpenMW 0.43.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Lamoot

Re: OpenMW 0.43.0

Post by Lamoot »

@Atahualpa: Great work on the videos!

Two comments I have: One is on the OpenMW-CS video. At one point you mention how the editor is unpopular for contributors (or along those lines), which sounds negative. It'd sound better with something like "the editor doesn't attract as many developers".

The second, in the main video showing the rain-particles-on-the-water-effect could last longer. I feel it switches too quickly to the next feature (about rain particles not stuck to the player anymore).

But these are minor things really, all in all I enjoyed watching the release commentaries as with all previous releases.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Lamoot wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 13:11 @Atahualpa: Great work on the videos!
Thanks. :)
Lamoot wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 13:11 At one point you mention how the editor is unpopular for contributors (or along those lines), which sounds negative. It'd sound better with something like "the editor doesn't attract as many developers".
You're right, of course. I tend to being a bit negative in the videos in general -- maybe some kind of overcompensation in regards to many other videos you can watch on YouTube.
Lamoot wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 13:11 The second, in the main video showing the rain-particles-on-the-water-effect could last longer. I feel it switches too quickly to the next feature (about rain particles not stuck to the player anymore).
That one is already on my list. There are other scenes which suffer from the same problem, but for another reason: I had to cut the video basically without exact time stamps for the individual scenes. So, yeah, pacing will be better in the final version.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

@raevol: Do we have a changelog up yet? I can't find one.

Would anyone mind if we made a push to track down and review controller support? There are obvious things like menu support and the few bugs with double clicking still left but I don't have the time to track down any other outstanding playability issues with game pad support. It would be nice if some kind of call to arms was asked of our user base along with this release.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Greendogo wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 21:47 @raevol: Do we have a changelog up yet? I can't find one.
You can find the current change log in our team subforum.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Atahualpa wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 15:26 You're right, of course. I tend to being a bit negative in the videos in general -- maybe some kind of overcompensation in regards to many other videos you can watch on YouTube.
I didn't get a negative feeling from any of your videos, they're all light-hearted and easy to watch. It's just that particular line that stood out, no more.
Atahualpa wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 15:26 That one is already on my list. There are other scenes which suffer from the same problem, but for another reason: I had to cut the video basically without exact time stamps for the individual scenes. So, yeah, pacing will be better in the final version.
Great to hear that. And thank you for doing the videos and hearing feedback :)
ajira2

Post by ajira2 »

Atahualpa is cool. Your videos are great :)

Just logged in to say that.

And that I'm looking forward to 0.43

Besides, Atahualpa was a cool character in Inca2 by Coktel Vision, defunct games company.

Keep up the good work!
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Quick update:
The second version of the editor video is ready. However, I'll upload it after the engine video which is not finished yet; please be patient. -- Order is everything. 8-)

ajira2 wrote: 27 Nov 2017, 10:34 Besides, Atahualpa was a cool character in Inca2 by Coktel Vision, defunct games company.
Well, historically, Atahualpa was the last ruler of the Inca Empire, so it makes sense to name a character after him in such a game setting (which, btw, sounds ridiculous).
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Please have a look at the second version of the release commentaries, especially at the new scene transitions and the pacing. Both videos come with English subtitles.

>>> Engine Video <<<
>>> Editor Video <<<

Anyway, the release isn't finished yet. On my personal to-do list are:
  • Revision of the change log
  • German translation for the change log
  • German subtitles for the videos
  • Video thumbnails
PlutonicOverkill

Post by PlutonicOverkill »

Nice work on the videos as usual Atahualpa - they're definitely my favourite part of the release process. The only thing that I thought needed changing was when you say 'Or what do you think why everyone loves my Nord character?' - it sounds a little strange for some reason. Maybe change it to 'Or why do you think everyone loves my Nord character?'
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

PlutonicOverkill wrote: 28 Nov 2017, 04:47 Nice work on the videos as usual Atahualpa - they're definitely my favourite part of the release process. The only thing that I thought needed changing was when you say 'Or what do you think why everyone loves my Nord character?' - it sounds a little strange for some reason. Maybe change it to 'Or why do you think everyone loves my Nord character?'
Thanks for your feedback, PlutonicOverkill. :)
Well, when writing the script, I thought that your version sounded somewhat strange. :D It's probably because of the semantic ambiguity. Anyway, if that remains the only complaint, I'd leave it at that and avoid the trouble of rewriting, re-recording, rearranging, and re-rendering.