OpenMW 0.43.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
lysol

Re: OpenMW 0.43.0

Post by lysol »

raevol wrote: 24 Oct 2017, 19:47
  • Changelog: needs writing (raevol)
  • Release video: in process (Atahualpa)
  • Windows RC 1: needs rebuilding? (Ace)
  • MacOS RC 1: needs building (corristo)
  • Linux Binary RC 1: needs building (K1ll)
psi29a wrote: 24 Oct 2017, 09:25 We need RCs first... but once we say that things are tested and we are ready for release builds, then they go into staging until you say: release the hounds, then I move from staging to official.
Alright, sounds like there's no reason for me to track here then. I'll take it off the list.
Great to-do list raevol. A thought for the next release: Maybe a good way to organize this would be to keep the general release discussion here in Zini's release thread, but having you raevol create a new "0.44 Release Planning" thread with this list on top, which you of course can edit as progress is done. The only other stuff that should be posted there is the release videos, the different RC:s for the OS:es, the change log and lastly the final release packages. If anything needs discussion about the RC:s or whatever, then that, again, is kept in Zini's original release thread.

So, just a thought.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Ace, the installer for the RC doesn't actually contain the contents of the resources folder except for the version file, and as well as that, the version file doesn't say it's a release, just a git revision.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

I'm starting to get the feeling that the only reason the nightly builds have been working until now is because I haven't been cleaning them properly, because this is built with a clean build environment and suddenly everything is broken.

Edit:

Seems like CMake is generating all the install files in the binary directories, while trying to read them from the build/project directory when packaging, meaning it ended up grabbing miscellaneous and missing data.
I'll copy the files over for now so we can get the RCs underway, I can do further debugging on why this has changed later on.

Another Edit:

New RCs have been uploaded, if anyone wants to give them another try.

(Links are still 32-bit, 64-bit)
Last edited by Ace (SWE) on 24 Oct 2017, 22:44, edited 2 times in total.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'm the one who made those changes, so I'll try to help with that. The gist of things is that the cmake system was putting stuff in the solution directory instead of the configuration directories, and we were using the CI script to copy them the rest of the way. I changed it so the cmake system moved the files all the way to the configuration specific folders so I could work on the shaders for shadows more efficiently.

Basically, you need to grab the resource files from MSVC_2015/<CONFIG>/resources instead of MSVC_2015/resources and it should all start working again.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

I'm not the one grabbing the files though, the CPack scripts are, so somewhere in the CMakeLists there are wrongly configured paths, leading to failures to package installers correctly.
The nightlies have probably packaged old files ever since that change.

Worth noting is that if you're planning on having everything in the binary/config directory (which I'm a big fan of), you should probably also update the git-version project to generate the version file into there as well.

Edit:

Threw up a quick PR for the CPack changes, but not sure how to solve the git-version building without mixing in CMake generator expressions and therefore requiring CMake 3.x
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The git-version target was supposed to put its output in the right folders, and actually did in a previous version of the PR. I hadn't noticed it wasn't doing until you mentioned it just now, but it's a really easy fix, so I'll sort it out in a second.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The PR is up https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/1522

We may or may not want this in 0.43, as technically it's not a regression as the behaviour was never correct in the master branch, only in a branch of my fork.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Updated: viewtopic.php?p=50674#p50674
lysol wrote: 24 Oct 2017, 20:02A thought for the next release: Maybe a good way to organize this would be to keep the general release discussion here in Zini's release thread, but having you raevol create a new "0.44 Release Planning" thread with this list on top, which you of course can edit as progress is done.
Not a bad idea!
Last edited by raevol on 25 Oct 2017, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
corristo

Post by corristo »

AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The Windows RC seems to have the right files this time and starts up correctly, but despite the version file containing 0.43 as the version number, it's still only displaying a git hash in the launcher and engine.