OpenMW 0.43.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
jonimacarroni

Re: OpenMW 0.43.0

Post by jonimacarroni »

Just wanted to thank everyone involved in this. This release is a massive improvement in speed and stability, I seriously could not believe the difference from the last nightlies to this latest RC1, since I thought no optimization had been done on OpenMW yet. Just one thing, this release seems to have one problem: it makes my computer go blue screen when I alt tab it for too long. Anyone had the same experience?
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

it makes my computer go blue screen when I alt tab it for too long.
I don't have this blue screen feature on my Linux, but I tried having it minimized for 15-20 minutes and it's OK, not even error messages in the terminal.
jonimacarroni

Post by jonimacarroni »

drummyfish wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 15:16
it makes my computer go blue screen when I alt tab it for too long.
I don't have this blue screen feature on my Linux, but I tried having it minimized for 15-20 minutes and it's OK, not even error messages in the terminal.
It's probably a problem on my end, to be honest, usually these things are hardware related, no? Maybe overheating, since I play with a huge amount of demanding mods.
Fizzol

Post by Fizzol »

I've noticed a tendency to crash on first launch on Win10, but not later launches.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

jonimacarroni wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 14:24 This release is a massive improvement in speed and stability, I seriously could not believe the difference from the last nightlies to this latest RC1, since I thought no optimization had been done on OpenMW yet.
Worth mentioning is that I run the RC and release builds with full optimization flags applied, including Link-Time Optimization. So a single one of the packages takes over half an hour of my computers undivided attention, almost one and a half to run each RC cycle.
The nightlies aren't built with that tough optimization applied, so they tend to run slower but also build much quicker - and with less chance to accidentally use up all available resources and hardlock the Windows kernel during the building process.

I should probably mention this in the nightlies thread, so that people are aware of the reduced performance they show.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Fizzol wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 17:21 I've noticed a tendency to crash on first launch on Win10, but not later launches.
Anyone else experiencing this? Also could you elaborate on what "first launch" means? First launch after a boot? Only the first launch after installing? First launch after playing for a while?
augustt

Post by augustt »

Will .43 be available in the staging ppa? The daily is still broken.
JohnMaster

Post by JohnMaster »

augustt wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 19:13 Will .43 be available in the staging ppa? The daily is still broken.
viewtopic.php?p=50477#p50477
psi29a wrote: 17 Oct 2017, 08:33 Basically, we're waiting on a new release to fix the issue. ;)

Then we can drop the patch downstream that was breaking things and the PPA will fix itself when we make a new release.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Regarding video progress:
The concepts for both videos are finished, all in-game set-ups are basically functional, and I'm halfway through the engine script. I'll upload the latter when it's finished.

Anyway, is there anything you want me to emphasise in the intro/outro section?
mattwla

Post by mattwla »

Ace (SWE) wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 17:27
jonimacarroni wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 14:24 This release is a massive improvement in speed and stability, I seriously could not believe the difference from the last nightlies to this latest RC1, since I thought no optimization had been done on OpenMW yet.
Worth mentioning is that I run the RC and release builds with full optimization flags applied, including Link-Time Optimization. So a single one of the packages takes over half an hour of my computers undivided attention, almost one and a half to run each RC cycle.
The nightlies aren't built with that tough optimization applied, so they tend to run slower but also build much quicker - and with less chance to accidentally use up all available resources and hardlock the Windows kernel during the building process.

I should probably mention this in the nightlies thread, so that people are aware of the reduced performance they show.
Thanks for sharing this. If I am compiling my own OpenMW windows x64 in visual studio using the windows build environment scripts, are my builds being run with optimization flags? I haven't touched any compiling options, it's just whatever the scripts default to.

Thanks,