OpenMW 0.43.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Grilly

Re: OpenMW 0.43.0

Post by Grilly »

Tested the Linux RC and everything seems fine. I think it actually runs faster now. :D
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

mattwla wrote: 03 Nov 2017, 13:04 Thanks for sharing this. If I am compiling my own OpenMW windows x64 in visual studio using the windows build environment scripts, are my builds being run with optimization flags? I haven't touched any compiling options, it's just whatever the scripts default to.
If you are running builds with the Release configuration, then you'll be using optimizations. You can also activate lots of additional optimization flags if you know what you're doing. Enabling OPENMW_LTO_BUILD in CMake will activate link-time optimization for instance.
Using regular release leads to perfectly fine performance, but if you want to get another handful of frames per second - and feel okay with spending another hour compiling to do so - then you can enable more optimization flags.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Updated: viewtopic.php?p=51227#p51227

Wow this really is going to be a one RC release... great job everyone. I'm turning in my assignment tonight, so will get on the changelog ASAP.
Last edited by raevol on 19 Nov 2017, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Got two hours tonight to bang my head against the changelog. I'm about a third of the way through it. Here's some things I need help with:
Bug #1555: Closing containers with spacebar doesn't work after touching an item
- Which behavior was implemented here?

Bug #2405: Maximum distance for guards attacking hostile creatures is incorrect
- How was the game behavior changed here? Issue description is very vague about what was actually done

- UI window pinning now persists between saves (#2489)
- Was the issue of UI pinning persisting when starting a new game fixed? Was only a note in this bug, but seems pretty major

Bug #3749: Yagrum Bagarn moves to different position on encountering
- Video is now missing, what was fixed here?

Bug #3787: Script commands in result box for voiced dialogue are ignored
- I don't understand the editor well enough for this one...

Bug #3794: Default sound buffer size is too small for mods
- Did we fix this by increasing the sound buffer? There was some discussion about that but the applied solution was not specified

- Underwater effects are now not applied to the player's voice (#3850)
- NPCs and player no longer speak while underwater (#3851)
Were these separate fixes? Does the player speak underwater when the Boethiath thing happens?
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

#1555: Close button will stay under focus unless you've clicked Take All button.
#2405: a check was added to Guard class NPCs so they don't become aggressive to creatures that are beyond fAlarmRadius distance.
#2489: "pinned" status is global across all characters, but there's no issue Matthew Smithson mentions after scrawl's window manager refactoring: windows won't be shown until they've actually been activated with chargen scripting, and then you always can enter GUI mode and unpin them.
#3749: Yagrum was constantly changing his position: he looked on Uupse briefly once due to AiFollow package, then briefly returned to his idle animation, changing his position a bit, then briefly looked at Uupse once then... et cetera.
Bug #3787: script commands now run if they were in voiced dialogue scripting.
#3794: yes, the buffer was increased from 16MB to 64MB.
#3850: these are separate fixes.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

raevol wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 08:31 Bug #3794: Default sound buffer size is too small for mods
- Did we fix this by increasing the sound buffer? There was some discussion about that but the applied solution was not specified
Capostrophic wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 10:42 #3794: yes, the buffer was increased from 16MB to 64MB.
To be precise: The new default min size is 56 MB and the new default max size is 64 MB. See pull request 1450.
raevol wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 08:31 - Underwater effects are now not applied to the player's voice (#3850)
Were these separate fixes? Does the player speak underwater when the Boethiath thing happens?
You're right: Technically, the player speaks on behalf of Boethiah.
raevol

Post by raevol »

So are these then like voiced combat dialog? Because if the player does speak on behalf of Boethiath underwater, they are technically speaking underwater... I know this is splitting hairs over something really trivial, but these changelog items will be right next to each other, and I know people will be confused by them.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Capostrophic wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 10:42 after scrawl's window manager refactoring: windows won't be shown until they've actually been activated with chargen scripting, and then you always can enter GUI mode and unpin them.
The linked commit just fixes something unrelated that I broke a few commits earlier. It's not relevant to this issue.
raevol

Post by raevol »

raevol wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 20:36
So are these then like voiced combat dialog? Because if the player does speak on behalf of Boethiath underwater, they are technically speaking underwater... I know this is splitting hairs over something really trivial, but these changelog items will be right next to each other, and I know people will be confused by them.
And more things I need help with:
- Copy/Paste now uses the correct command key on macOS (#3934)
Is this an OpenMW-CS issue?

Bug #3963: When on edge of being burdened the condition doesn't lower as you run.
What is "the condition"? Fatigue?

- NPC archers now don't stop attacking when they run out of arrows (#4033)
Do they switch to another weapon? This makes it sound like they keep shooting arrows
About two thirds done now.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

scrawl wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 20:58 The linked commit just fixes something unrelated that I broke a few commits earlier.
oh, my bad. Anyway, my description of the current behavior of pinned windows should be accurate.

raevol:
#3934: basically yes, since Qt is only used in the launcher and the editor (and I don't think you can select anything in the launcher to copy or a field to paste something in) and the game uses MyGUI instead.
#3963: yes.
#4033: archer NPCs will try to use other weapons instead in such situation, in 0.42.0 they didn't do anything.