OpenMW 0.43.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
AnyOldName3

Re: OpenMW 0.43.0

Post by AnyOldName3 »

At one point you said "a quite difficult task" which, while technically grammatically valid, isn't how a native speaker would usually get that point across. Instead, try "quite a difficult task".

Also, not a criticism of the video, but the end bit with the snowy area left me feeling quite unsettled. There was an issue at one point with my shadow branch where the terrain looked snowy everywhere, and it reminded me of that.
raevol

Post by raevol »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 22:02 Also, not a criticism of the video, but the end bit with the snowy area left me feeling quite unsettled. There was an issue at one point with my shadow branch where the terrain looked snowy everywhere, and it reminded me of that.
Trauma!!
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 22:02 At one point you said "a quite difficult task" which, while technically grammatically valid, isn't how a native speaker would usually get that point across. Instead, try "quite a difficult task".
Thanks, added to my list.
AnyOldName3 wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 22:02 Also, not a criticism of the video, but the end bit with the snowy area left me feeling quite unsettled. There was an issue at one point with my shadow branch where the terrain looked snowy everywhere, and it reminded me of that.
I'm looking forward to another walk in Solstheim after you've re-added shadows. Maybe in the v0.44.0 release commentary? :roll:
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

Atahualpa wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 21:43 If you spot any mistakes, please let me know. (*cough* LAND/LTEX records.)
Overall looks good to me.
You can do basic terrain “editing” using these records, but be aware that Land Texture records are shared between all cells of your current load-out. Changing a texture file may have huge consequences.
Perhaps something like the following would be better.
You can change terrain textures using these records, but be aware that Land Texture records are only used in cells whose Land records have been modified. Modders should prefer to use the standard practice of overriding textures instead, as this will ensure greater compatibility with other mods.
The feature did not add much functionality that is visible to the user. It was some base work that needed to be done to enable terrain editing in the scene editor.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Finally got to see both videos. Nothing to say other than great work. Love the dry humour. :D

Oh, and big thanks for the shout-out in the cs video!
Grilly

Post by Grilly »

I found out what my problem was. (since I knew it wasn't that my pc was crap). I've got 16 gb of ram in my machine so running out of memory never happens to me. I can run Oblivion and Skyrim at the same time and not have a problem so it boggled my mind why Morrowind would do this to me.

After watching the WIP video I went got OpenMW open to test out the new features. But none of them worked. This was odd. It was still behaving just like 0.42 only running out of memory after about thirty minutes. Regular 0.42 didn't do that no matter what I did. Then I discovered the problem.

When I was using the Openmw.desktop in the RC folder to open the application, BOTH 0.42 AND 0.43 were being opened but I could only see 0.42. It turns out, I never actually tested 0.43 until I ran just than from a terminal.

So now I have actually test 0.43 and the new features work and there are no more gray out problems. I guess in the future I need to pay more attention to what I'm doing.
lysol

Post by lysol »

In other words, we should be ready for release at least around weekend right?
raevol

Post by raevol »

Grilly wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 09:31So now I have actually test 0.43 and the new features work and there are no more gray out problems.
No worries, that's a really difficult problem to diagnose! Thank you for following up!
lysol wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 09:42In other words, we should be ready for release at least around weekend right?
Sounds like it, I'd really like to hear from zini and scrawl about the videos, but I think Atahualpa is in the loop enough to be able to sign off his own stuff. I have school tomorrow and some wacky American holiday on Thursday, but I'll be around.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

lysol wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 09:42 In other words, we should be ready for release at least around weekend right?
I have to submit a nasty additional assignment until Friday, so video optimisation is planned for the weekend. -- Middle of next week?
lysol

Post by lysol »

Atahualpa wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 13:18
lysol wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 09:42 In other words, we should be ready for release at least around weekend right?
I have to submit a nasty additional assignment until Friday, so video optimisation is planned for the weekend. -- Middle of next week?
Duh, priorities man!
Spoiler: Show