OpenMW 0.43.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Grilly

Re: OpenMW 0.43.0

Post by Grilly »

Ok, I went into the CFG file and tested some changes to see if I could get better performance. It seems to be the case that turning distant land off removed the lag and prevented locking up. Even when I increase the exterior cell load from 1 to 2, I didn't really have any problems when running around from cell to cell. With distant land turned on, I needed to decrease the view distance to the point where the fog prevented seeing anything and they almost negated each other, and even then, changing cells frequently, using coc to jump to Karthwasten or Stirk, or even just running through a dungeon with lots of connected rooms would cause fps to decrease and the game would even stall when opening the menu of all things. The application would eventually gray out and I couldn't even close it without doing a force quit.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Update:
  • Changelog: needs feedback from @Atahualpa (raevol)
  • Release video: in process (Atahualpa)
  • Windows RC 1: tested: 32-bit, 64-bit (report to Ace)
  • MacOS RC 1: tested (report to corristo)
  • Linux Binary RC 1: tested: 32 Bit, 64 Bit (report to K1ll)
  • Other: need feedback on issue posted here: viewtopic.php?p=51217#p51217
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Grilly wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 04:36It seems to be the case that turning distant land off removed the lag and prevented locking up.
You're probably running out of RAM, which is expected with both cell preloading and distant terrain turned on on less powerful computers.
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

raevol wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 09:51 Other: need feedback on issue posted here: viewtopic.php?p=51217#p51217
I'm testing this but I came across another weird issue: I'm just randomly flying around the map, talking to people etc. and it sometimes suddenly starts to snow in places like Seyda Neen, Balmora etc. This is wrong, right? Hope it's not my fault as I did some things with the weather effects recently :)

EDIT: Doesn't seem to happen on a newly created character though, I suppose my other character is corrupted from the extensive testing I've done on him.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Here's the link to the WIP version of the engine video. As usual, please do not share the link anywhere else.

>>> WIP Engine Video <<<

I'm looking forward to your feedback. :)

OpenMW_0-43-0_Script_English.txt
Script for Engine Video
(8.85 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

I love the drowned everyone part. Excellent job.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Atahualpa wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 04:14 I'm looking forward to your feedback. :)
Amazing job as always, I definitely laughed out loud at several places in the video!

For some reason, even though I spend hours poring over the changelog before I ever see your videos, seeing the changes in a visual format always drives home what is actually going on- thank you for all the work you do on these!
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

I love the videos, Atahualpa. Always funny and informative. It's really cool seeing new developers give different tasks a go.

I wonder if there is a way to get the attention of the classic gaming youtuber channels like lazy game reviews, metaljesusrocks, kim justice, game sack, classic gaming quarterly, or classic game room. Seems like since they are into preservation (and a lot of them talk about modern clone consoles of classic machines) that they'd be interested in the open source engine communities. Openmw along with gemrb, open xcom, d2x xl, and some of the tycoon re-implementations could make for interesting shows (mission, project history, progress, team members).
MinerMan60101

Post by MinerMan60101 »

The video looks great as always! The amount of effort put into each scenario definitely makes it worth watching.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Thanks for your feedback. Anything you want me to change? (Not that my personal list of changes isn't long enough. ;) )
------------------------------
Anyway, the WIP editor video is ready. Just follow the link below:

>>> WIP Editor Video <<<

If you spot any mistakes, please let me know. (*cough* LAND/LTEX records.)

OpenMW-CS_0-43-0_Script_English.txt
Script for Editor Video
(4.59 KiB) Downloaded 151 times