Are there still Morrowind formulae that need to be reverse engineered?

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Thunderforge

Are there still Morrowind formulae that need to be reverse engineered?

Post by Thunderforge »

On the Contribution Wanted page on the wiki, one of the things that is listed as something that the project needs help with is "Reversing Morrowind's formulas", and it has a hyperlink to the main forum page. Is this something that still needs to be done? Or have we figured out all the formulae already?
Atahualpa

Re: Are there still Morrowind formulae that need to be reverse engineered?

Post by Atahualpa »

Have a look here: Wiki research page. There are links to all categories of game mechanics. Every single mechanic has a status indicator -- and IIRC there are several open/WIP formulae.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

No, I don't think so. Maybe there are some marked as incomplete or needing testing but it seems that we implemented them correctly regardless, given that no bugreports are coming. In any case, the call for help on the wiki (which is somewhat pointless without any instructions on getting started) is definitely not needed. If we needed anything specific, I know of a few persons that we could ask.

Looks like there is some overlap with the "Contribution wanted" page and contributing.md on github - would it make sense to merge them?
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Merging the two would make sense. What would be the best way to do go about doing that? Maybe make it like Authors.md and just have a spot on the website that automatically mirrors that?
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »

Ah, actually I stumbled across some - for me - unexpected behaviour of the resulting jumping height when using Fortify Strength enchantments. In vanilla MW the increase seems to be quite significant, whereas it was not or barely noticeable in openMW.
I'm not sure whether I filed a bug report for that back then, because I was new and had already filed several in a row. Anyway, thanks a lot if you want to look into that :)
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Jumping height is not dependent on strength. It's %on currentencumberance/maxencumberance. So you need to compare encumberance % instead of strength to know for sure.
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »

Well, strength is the governing attribute to acrobatics, right? Usually they do have an effect.
I'm 99.8% sure that strength affects jumping height in vanilla MW. I frequently used Fortify Strength as an enchantment to increase my jumping height. As soon as I get back to a Windows machine, I'll check whether I get just as high with an empty inventory, but as my jumping height was completely insane (and my acrobatics skill not so much), I'm quite sure that strength is factored in in vanilla MW.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Strength affects how much you can carry, and your relative encumbrance affects jump height. So if your character is carrying a lot, increasing strength will also increase your jump height, but if you're not carrying much you won't notice a difference.
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »

Well, seems like everyone except me has that impression. I'll go check it out as soon as I find the time.