An alternative UI for the OpenMW launcher and installation wizard

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: An alternative UI for the OpenMW launcher and installation wizard

Post by psi29a »

Thunderforge wrote: 12 Jun 2017, 18:27The game is worth a mortgage in that you will get far more enjoyment out of it, but the price Bethesda is selling it for is a steal!
This is quite true. ;)

You could say it's worth its weight in gold... oh wait... :lol:

Don't forget, with ebay it's: "Buy It Now"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purchasing
Purchasing refers to a business or organization attempting to acquire goods or services to accomplish the goals of its enterprise.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

psi29a wrote: 12 Jun 2017, 19:03 You could say it's worth its weight in gold... oh wait... :lol:
Too bad gold doesn't weigh anything in Morrowind ;)

I'm guessing that "Buy Morrowind" would be a preferred phrase instead?
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »

As a non-native speaker of the English language, I have no idea about purchase/buy and all that, but there's another word that bothers me:

install/installation.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but the way I understood the configuration wizard, launcher etc., there's supposed to be an existing installation of Morrowind on your machine, which's data files you point to, so that openMW can read them and please you with the game experience. I'm fine with expanding that and including some installation help or an alternative way of installation, as for the whole macOS issue.
The first screen, however, says "To start, let's install a game". That just simply doesn't apply to anyone who already has a functioning copy of Morrowind on their machine.
Here's a basic alternative, that I'd gladly see improved: Instead of "To start, let's install a game", just have it say "To start, let's choose a game.". Then, if the user clicks on TES III: Morrowind, a follow-up screen could give the choice between: "Choose an existing installation of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind" and "New installation of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind". And from there on, the already shown screens could be used.

In any case, thanks for the effort, looks good and really user-friendly :)
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

DecumusScotti wrote: 13 Jun 2017, 05:10 The first screen, however, says "To start, let's install a game". That just simply doesn't apply to anyone who already has a functioning copy of Morrowind on their machine.
Here's a basic alternative, that I'd gladly see improved: Instead of "To start, let's install a game", just have it say "To start, let's choose a game.".
Good point. "Install" is misleading in this case. I suppose "Load" a game might also work, and would be good in other contexts where "choose" doesn't make sense.
DecumusScotti wrote: 13 Jun 2017, 05:10 Then, if the user clicks on TES III: Morrowind, a follow-up screen could give the choice between: "Choose an existing installation of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind" and "New installation of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind". And from there on, the already shown screens could be used.
If you have a copy of Morrowind installed already, is there any reason you would want to create a new installation from a CD, Steam, etc? And if you don't have Morrowind installed, then is there any value in picking an option to choose an existing installation?

My thought was that we can quickly check a handful of expected install locations and determine if there was an installation. If there are any, show them a list to choose from, with an option to install a new copy. If there aren't any, then go straight to the new installation page. That eliminates the need for a screen that you are suggesting.
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

I don't mean to add more fuel to the fire, honestly I think we are digressing and overthinking here.
But this is a screenshot from Steam ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
steam.PNG
I am non-native and I am connecting from Europe, so could be a localisation thing and other countries show "buy". But if it's not, I am inclined of adapting to what is more common to final users (yes, even if it's not 100% accurate).
Chris

Post by Chris »

Thunderforge wrote: 13 Jun 2017, 06:02 Good point. "Install" is misleading in this case. I suppose "Load" a game might also work, and would be good in other contexts where "choose" doesn't make sense.
Perhaps "Set up" or "Prepare". Like, "To start, let's set up a game." or "To start, let's prepare a game."
Thunderforge wrote: 13 Jun 2017, 06:02 If you have a copy of Morrowind installed already, is there any reason you would want to create a new installation from a CD, Steam, etc? And if you don't have Morrowind installed, then is there any value in picking an option to choose an existing installation?
If you have a Morrowind install that's already kitted out with a bunch of mods, MGSO, MCP, MGE, etc. It's good to be able to start fresh and clean with OpenMW, and set up individual mods "correctly" (in their own folders) while ensuring they work.
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »

Chris wrote: 13 Jun 2017, 08:30
Thunderforge wrote: 13 Jun 2017, 06:02 If you have a copy of Morrowind installed already, is there any reason you would want to create a new installation from a CD, Steam, etc? And if you don't have Morrowind installed, then is there any value in picking an option to choose an existing installation?
If you have a Morrowind install that's already kitted out with a bunch of mods, MGSO, MCP, MGE, etc. It's good to be able to start fresh and clean with OpenMW, and set up individual mods "correctly" (in their own folders) while ensuring they work.
I thought that screen should be provided because the auto-detection might not work in all cases, even if the necessary data files are installed on your system. Chris has a good point for the opposite case, too. But as to the exact implementation, it doesn't have to be a screen on its own, if you think there are better ways.
slartt23

Post by slartt23 »

having had to do a lot to get openmw up and running on my mac along with morrowind i defo recommend having a gog link option there as its currently the easiest for osx implementation
Grilly

Post by Grilly »

Maybe instead of either "buy" or "purchase" (both of which would be easily understood by users) we could make a US version of the launcher and a UK version. Or we could let each and every user decide for themselves which word for (acquire by way of exchanging money) they would prefer to use.

If given the choice I think I'd pick either auctionare, nundinari, or coemere. But that's just me. Then after I "auctiono" I can then maybe "insero" the game into my computer after I have downloaded OpenMW from Git and adstruxi the software.
terabyte25

Post by terabyte25 »

Don't know where this went, but perhaps I could expand on this?