OpenMW 0.42.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

Re: OpenMW 0.42.0

Post by Zini »

Okay. Then let's wait a bit longer. Do we have an ETA?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Zini wrote:Okay. Then let's wait a bit longer. Do we have an ETA?
Euskadi Ta Askatasuna? I don' think anyone from ETA works on OpenMW... but I can ask around. :P
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Zini wrote:Okay. Then let's wait a bit longer. Do we have an ETA?
Well, that totally depends on my free time -- but I plan to finish my work next week. Of course, the release videos need to be made as well.
The question is: If we start the release process now, will we go public before Easter? If yes (and if you see any benefits), let's try it. Otherwise, let's aim for a late April / early May release and start the release process after (?) the Easter weekend. (Maybe I can sneak in some more OpenMW-CS PRs, too...)
psi29a wrote:Euskadi Ta Askatasuna? I don' think anyone from ETA works on OpenMW... but I can ask around. :P
:D
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

murmuring
'tis going to be a very solid release — with all these optimizations, physics renovations and distant terrain. 8-)
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

It's for the best that we are delaying a bit as our PPA has run out of disk space! We've hit the 4GiB limit and I've requested more space.

This also means that we're in limbo at the moment as I have new libs available but I can't build new openmw packages. This can possibly leave our PPA users in an uncertain state with new libs than what openmw was compiled against.

Luckily the API from OSG and Bullet havn't changed, so in theory everything should work as usual.

I'll keep everyone abreast as I get more information from launchpad.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Follow up:
Repository size:
6.7 GiB (100.00%) of 4.0 GiB
I managed to find a 'trick' where I can build in one PPA then copy binaries (without rebuilding) to official PPA.

I'm still going to follow up on getting more space so as not to abuse the above.

Everything should be using the latest libs/openmw.. please test!
Zini

Post by Zini »

If we start next Monday then the earliest we can hope for a release is mid April. Let's add another week before we start. That should satisfy everyone's needs.
Necrod

Post by Necrod »

Haven't been here since 0.28.0 (though I was checking the blog now and then)

And I must say

WOW

It's coming along so nicely, you guys are doing an amazing job!
Keep on!
Calibration

Post by Calibration »

Greendogo wrote:Got bored, made a chart.
So, I have a comment. If you continue to increment release versions by 0.01 then that chart suggest version 1.0 will be out in about 17 years :)

I'm, not a professional software developer although I write a bit of code from time to time. I won't ask when you think 1.0 will be out, but what drives the numbers you assign to releases and will there be any jumps?

Keep up the good work. It's great what you are doing. I've not found many issues with 0.41 as it is so far, although I'm only an occasional player

Cheers
wareya

Post by wareya »

Basically the number is incremented by a value of 1 at a time until OpenMW is "ready" for 1.0, no driving force there but that. The version number isn't a decimal number. It's not adding by 0.01, it's adding by 0.1. It's like minutes or seconds but without the leading 0 when the value is less than 10.