OpenMW 0.42.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
TechNoirMK

Re: OpenMW 0.42.0

Post by TechNoirMK »

psi29a wrote:improvements to FPS just keep going up and up.
Optimization overdrive?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I used the same save-game, right in front of Fargoth and measured by pressing F3 once and took the average fps. This is on my nvidia based laptop (m4800), with all settings turned up on high.

0.40: 74fps
0.41: 75fps
master: 86fps

So yeah, the latest commits do make a difference imho. :)

Go Scrawl!
lysol

Post by lysol »

Best thread in years since the previous best thread.

When you're feeling the time is right for it again scrawl, I still want you to shut up and take my money.
TechNoirMK

Post by TechNoirMK »

Damn, that's a huge boost. Instead of waiting for 0.42, I think I'll start playing the latest build right away.
Spoiler: Show
Can anyone with toasters test it? My framerate was already sky-high at 140-150 on 0.41 - though they have indeed increased by around 10, there's not much difference lol.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

RPi3 get pretty hot, so it could be classified as a toaster... ;)
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

In related news, I found out one reason why shaders were not performing as well as expected - there was an OSG bug which had been fixed but not applied to 3.4 branch.

To get the fix you'll need to use either the latest commit on the osg fork (based on 3.4) or upstream OSG master (to become 3.6).

If using shaders (which you do if you're using Lysol's texture packs) this fix should yield about 15% perf boost on the Draw thread.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Hi Guys,

Where can I download the latest nightly build for Windows 7 64bit? It seems like the nightlies under the folder linked below stopped on Jan-30-2017
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~ace/OpenMW/nightlies/
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Thing is, it's the latest nightly build. :D
Something has been broken in Ace's setup and as of now, he hasn't found a moment to fix it.
It's more convenient to download them here, by the way.
You can setup a development environment and compile everything yourself from source, but while it's ez pz on Linux, really, it takes less than half a hour to set up an environment and 25 minutes of that is the first

Code: Select all

make
...it's really troubling on Windows. So I suggest you to just wait.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It's as simple as

Code: Select all

CI/before_script.msvc.sh
on Windows. That's not much harder than make
magamo

Post by magamo »

scrawl wrote:In related news, I found out one reason why shaders were not performing as well as expected - there was an OSG bug which had been fixed but not applied to 3.4 branch.

To get the fix you'll need to use either the latest commit on the osg fork (based on 3.4) or upstream OSG master (to become 3.6).

If using shaders (which you do if you're using Lysol's texture packs) this fix should yield about 15% perf boost on the Draw thread.
While I do see that performance increase, this also seems to break the caustic effect on the water shader on my system,, making the water appear to be some very still reflective glass where the reflections are slightly... off. Same OpenMW commit, either using OpenSceneGraph 3.5.6 or your 3.4 fork. Whereas using OSG from the openmw PPA seems to work just fine with the water shader.
EDIT: Probably with my luck there's some OSG plugin necessary that I just don't have enabled.