OpenMW 0.42.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
raevol

Re: OpenMW 0.42.0

Post by raevol »

psi29a wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 12:12I re-tagged the 0.42.0 release to add my last minute RTD changes so that we can have auto-genned documentation from RTD. :)
Do we need to re-build release packages?
corristo wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 13:09The Big Mac has landed: http://downloads.openmw.org/osx/OpenMW-0.42.0.dmg
HAHAHA thank you!!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

No need, just documentation thingies to fix RTD so we have documentation. Nothing to do with OpenMW itself.
raevol

Post by raevol »

KK sounds good.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Atahualpa wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 11:51 @raevol: I didn't have time to complete proof-reading your change log and think about your remaining questions. Sunday, okay?
Sorry I just saw this! No rush, no worries!
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

raevol wrote: 18 Jul 2017, 07:19
Greendogo wrote: 18 Jul 2017, 06:11To quiet the heretics.
This guy's got jokes. You coming to con this year dude?
To answer this very late, no, I work in Santa Barbara during the summer and couldn't make it down to San Diego this year :roll:

Running through 0.42.0 now, looking for bugs. Release is looking pretty clean so far, guys. So far, just got a crash in the CS after undoing some things, had an issue detecting an existing Steam installation of Morrowind in my C drive (had to manually find it), and the load order is always wrong. Yay bugs!
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

@raevol: Here's my suggestion for the change log. I've rearranged the items quite a lot to group related issues (sorry) and answered your questions to my best knowledge. "//" mark comments. This list contains all changes except the two tasks (#3092 and #3795).

I'll inform you when I'm ready for the release.

Code: Select all

*Your introduction*
*Blaming Atahualpa for the delay*

*Videos*
(Engine video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKhfdOxkafo)
(Editor video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exWbXBAJYtY)

Known Issues:
- Shadows are not re-implemented yet
- To use the Linux targz package binaries, Qt4 and libpng12 must be installed on your system
- On macOS, OpenMW-CS is able to launch OpenMW only if OpenMW.app and OpenMW-CS.app are siblings
// I don't know whether the latter two are still relevant.

New Features:
- Implemented water sound effects
- Implemented light particles showing in inventory character preview
- Implemented magic projectiles emitting light
- Implemented NiSphericalCollider
- OpenMW-CS: Implemented "Book Type" combo box replacing "Scroll" check box in Book records
- OpenMW-CS: Implemented "Blood Type" combo box replacing blood check boxes in NPC and Creature records
- OpenMW-CS: Implemented "Emitter Type" combo box replacing emitter check boxes in Light records
- OpenMW-CS: Implemented "Gender" combo box replacing "Female" check box in NPC and Body Part records
- ess-Importer: Implemented converting mark location
- ess-Importer: Implemented converting last known exterior cell

Bug Fixes:
- Falling leaves in Vurt's tree mods now render correctly
- Actors now use capsular collision shapes (solves issues with characters getting stuck or floating above the ground)
- Collision handling has been improved (better performance and overall behaviour)
- Collision is now not disabled for actors until their death animation has finished playing
- Players can no longer climb sheer terrain by jumping and then moving forwards in the air
- Doors no longer stutter when colliding with the player
- Dialog boxes now appear in the center of the screen after the window is resized
- Weapon and spell cycling is now disabled while in GUI mode
- Weapon and spell cycling can now be bound to a gamepad
- Gamepad and mouse/keyboard may now be used at the same time
- Inventory window titles are now centered vertically
- Changed name tooltips' behavior on enemies to match vanilla behavior
- The maximum width of a tooltip is no longer set to a fixed value
- The drowning widget now more accurately matches the vanilla one
- Fall height is now reset when the player teleports
- Changed Slowfall spell effect to better match vanilla behavior while jumping
- Combat with water creatures now ends when leaving the water
- AI actors no longer hit unintended targets
- Changed NPC wander and idle behavior to better match vanilla
- Fixed some summoned creatures not engaging underwater creatures in combat
- Enemies now initiate combat with player followers on sight
- Creatures now auto-equip their shields on creation
- Changed combat engagement logic to better match vanilla behavior
- The Command spell effect now brings enemies out of combat
- Followers now continue to follow after resting and saving and reloading the game
- Light prioritization on objects now takes the light sources' intensity into account (fixes issues with light sources popping up)
- Icon shadows no longer persist in GUI windows
- Disintegrate Armor/Weapon spell effects are no longer bound to the framerate
- Enchanted arrows now explode when they hit the ground or a static object
- Fixed a crash that occurred while using a container and the console at the same time
- Fixed the beginning of NPC speech being cut off on macOS
- Nodes named "bounding box" are now ignored by the nifloader making corresponding meshes render correctly
- The correct swish sound is now played for NPC weapon attacks
- The player now has to pay for their followers when using fast travel
- Fixed a regression with Dispel; it now is an instant spell effect again
- Corrected greetings in Antares' Big Mod
- The ProjectileManager no longer crashes when a sound ID fails to play or is not found
- Fixed behavior of Activate and OnActivate commands (fixes freeze when opening "Hammers" container in Aanumuran Reclaimed mod)
- Fixed possible game-breaking exception caused by trying to access NPC stats on a creature
- Identification papers can now be picked back up after they are dropped
- Fixed the interpreter to properly handle a reference change caused by an Activate command
// Is this right for #3727?
// - Interpreter context now properly handles Activate actions in the middle of script execution
- Changed behavior of stat script commands to better handle stats above 100
- Fixed gun sounds in Clean Hunter Rifles mod
- Fixed selling success chance when bartering
- Fixed objects doubling when loading a save game after editing the used game files
// Bug #1956: Relevant pull request: https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/1173 (thanks Capostrophic for pointing me to this)
- Silenced SDL events of types 0x302 and 0x304
- Fixed a rare crash that occurred on cell loading
// Bug #3580: Crash: Error ElementBufferObject::remove BufferData<0> out of range
- Activation flags are now reset when an object is copied
// Bug #3671: Incorrect local variable value after picking up bittercup
- Removed the possibility to implicitly call GetJournalIndex by simply stating a script ID (solves issues with objects using the same ID as a script in Emma's Lokken mod)
- Blacklisted some unused scripts from the Bloodmoon expansion pack which relied upon the abovementioned implicit function call
// Bug #3816: Expression parser thinks the -> token is unexpected when a given explicit refID clashes with a journal ID
- Fixed the ResourceHelpers to allow the simultaneous use of forward and backward slashes in a model path
// Bug #3822: Custom added creatures are not animated
- Fixed handling of enchantments' spell effects to correctly display these effects in the GUI
- OpenMW-CS: New or cloned Body Part records may now use the ".1st" suffix
- OpenMW-CS: Fixed sorting verification results by Record Type
- OpenMW-CS: Cloned and added pathgrids are no longer lost after reopening an omwgame file
- OpenMW-CS: Camera position is now re-centered when changing interior cells via drag & drop
- OpenMW-CS: Added missing Text field to allow editing a book's actual text
- OpenMW-CS: Skill books now show associated skill IDs instead of attribute IDs
raevol

Post by raevol »

Atahualpa wrote: 30 Jul 2017, 23:45@raevol: Here's my suggestion for the change log.
I'm not sure I understand your formatting here? Should I just remove your comments, insert the intro, and it's ready?
Dyskos

Post by Dyskos »

@raevol That's how I understood it.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

raevol wrote: 31 Jul 2017, 04:54
Atahualpa wrote: 30 Jul 2017, 23:45@raevol: Here's my suggestion for the change log.
I'm not sure I understand your formatting here? Should I just remove your comments, insert the intro, and it's ready?
Yep, that's the plan. The first comment is obsolete, if the issues with Linux and macOS versions are still relevant; the other comments contain your questions which I answered in the line above in each case. These need proof-reading of course.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Atahualpa wrote: 31 Jul 2017, 09:16Yep, that's the plan.
Sounds good. :) Thank you!