How to refer to macOS in news and wiki?

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Vedyimyn

How to refer to macOS in news and wiki?

Post by Vedyimyn »

Hello!

I've been translating the newest post into Polish today and found one thing that disturbs me a bit. There are two entries concerning OS X system. The problem is that it's called macOS now. I think we should be more precise when refering to this system, so as to avoid the impression, that there are problems on OS X (older system), which do not occur on macOS (newer system).

I suggest that we use the name Mac OS, which includes (as far as I know) Mac OS Classic, OS X and macOS.
Jyby

Re: How to refer to macOS in news and wiki?

Post by Jyby »

We do not support Mac OS Classic. We actually don't support anything less than Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and in actuality the game probably only runs on 10.7 and above.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Jyby wrote:We do not support Mac OS Classic. We actually don't support anything less than Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and in actuality the game probably only runs on 10.7 and above.
I think you misunderstand. He's not talking about Mac OS Classic. OS X has changed name to macOS since the release of Sierra. See here:
wikipedia wrote:macOS (previously Mac OS X, then simply OS X) is the current series of Unix-based graphical operating systems...
Source
corristo

Post by corristo »

I suggest to always use macOS from now on.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

corristo wrote:I suggest to always use macOS from now on.
Oh, I thought we'd already agreed to use the term "macOS" from now on. Somehow. Silently.
Anyway, seconded.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

lysol wrote: I think you misunderstand. He's not talking about Mac OS Classic. OS X has changed name to macOS since the release of Sierra. See here:
wikipedia wrote:macOS (previously Mac OS X, then simply OS X) is the current series of Unix-based graphical operating systems...
Source

Apparently "Big Mac" was already taken...???

ST :lol:
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

lysol wrote:
Jyby wrote:We do not support Mac OS Classic. We actually don't support anything less than Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and in actuality the game probably only runs on 10.7 and above.
I think you misunderstand. He's not talking about Mac OS Classic. OS X has changed name to macOS since the release of Sierra. See here:
Source
No I think I meant what I wrote. Being specific about what supporting "Mac OS" actually means, referring to OPs last sentence.