How to refer to macOS in news and wiki?

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Post Reply
Vedyimyn
Posts: 2
Joined: 01 Jul 2014, 21:28

How to refer to macOS in news and wiki?

Post by Vedyimyn » 27 Dec 2016, 20:24

Hello!

I've been translating the newest post into Polish today and found one thing that disturbs me a bit. There are two entries concerning OS X system. The problem is that it's called macOS now. I think we should be more precise when refering to this system, so as to avoid the impression, that there are problems on OS X (older system), which do not occur on macOS (newer system).

I suggest that we use the name Mac OS, which includes (as far as I know) Mac OS Classic, OS X and macOS.

User avatar
Jyby
Posts: 406
Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 04:16

Re: How to refer to macOS in news and wiki?

Post by Jyby » 27 Dec 2016, 21:08

We do not support Mac OS Classic. We actually don't support anything less than Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and in actuality the game probably only runs on 10.7 and above.
Macbook Air 2013 - 1.7GHz Intel i7 - 8 GB - 512 GB SSD - Intel HD 5000
Windows 10 PC - 4GHz Intel i7 - 16 GB - 512 GB SSD - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC

User avatar
lysol
Posts: 726
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 01:48
Location: Sweden

Re: How to refer to macOS in news and wiki?

Post by lysol » 27 Dec 2016, 22:00

Jyby wrote:We do not support Mac OS Classic. We actually don't support anything less than Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and in actuality the game probably only runs on 10.7 and above.
I think you misunderstand. He's not talking about Mac OS Classic. OS X has changed name to macOS since the release of Sierra. See here:
wikipedia wrote:macOS (previously Mac OS X, then simply OS X) is the current series of Unix-based graphical operating systems...
Source
Normal mapped texture replacers, exclusive for OpenMW:
My Nexus page

corristo
Posts: 468
Joined: 12 Aug 2011, 08:29

Re: How to refer to macOS in news and wiki?

Post by corristo » 03 Mar 2017, 17:22

I suggest to always use macOS from now on.

User avatar
Atahualpa
Posts: 791
Joined: 09 Feb 2016, 20:03

Re: How to refer to macOS in news and wiki?

Post by Atahualpa » 03 Mar 2017, 23:26

corristo wrote:I suggest to always use macOS from now on.
Oh, I thought we'd already agreed to use the term "macOS" from now on. Somehow. Silently.
Anyway, seconded.

silentthief
Posts: 264
Joined: 18 Apr 2013, 01:20

Re: How to refer to macOS in news and wiki?

Post by silentthief » 04 Mar 2017, 06:24

lysol wrote: I think you misunderstand. He's not talking about Mac OS Classic. OS X has changed name to macOS since the release of Sierra. See here:
wikipedia wrote:macOS (previously Mac OS X, then simply OS X) is the current series of Unix-based graphical operating systems...
Source

Apparently "Big Mac" was already taken...???

ST :lol:

User avatar
Jyby
Posts: 406
Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 04:16

Re: How to refer to macOS in news and wiki?

Post by Jyby » 04 May 2017, 21:49

lysol wrote:
Jyby wrote:We do not support Mac OS Classic. We actually don't support anything less than Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and in actuality the game probably only runs on 10.7 and above.
I think you misunderstand. He's not talking about Mac OS Classic. OS X has changed name to macOS since the release of Sierra. See here:
wikipedia wrote:macOS (previously Mac OS X, then simply OS X) is the current series of Unix-based graphical operating systems...
Source
No I think I meant what I wrote. Being specific about what supporting "Mac OS" actually means, referring to OPs last sentence.
Macbook Air 2013 - 1.7GHz Intel i7 - 8 GB - 512 GB SSD - Intel HD 5000
Windows 10 PC - 4GHz Intel i7 - 16 GB - 512 GB SSD - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests