The new FAQ video(s)

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.

What format shall the new FAQ on YouTube have?

I need a sleeping aid: Make it a single video! (Approx. 15 to 30 min.)
32%
Man, we are on YouTube! Make it a video series. (Approx. 3 to 8 min each.)
68%

Total votes: 34

Allofich

Re: The new FAQ video(s)

Post by Allofich »

BTW, Atahualpa, in one of your OpenMW videos some months ago you had a line something like "Don't miss your chance to be a part of this project." That gave me the push I needed to start sending in bug reports, which led to sending in code contributions. :)
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

And just so you know, your help is very appreciated. With Scrawl on a hiatus you and Miroslavr seem to be the main guys keeping progress going.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

@Allofich: That's nice to hear! And yes, your help is very much appreciated. :)
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Here's the script for part 2 (Project Status):

*** Outdated! Better get the new version from the OP! ***
OpenMW_FAQ.pdf
(144.25 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
OpenMW_FAQ_Script_02.txt
(6.77 KiB) Downloaded 256 times

@Allofich: I've changed the wording in the first part's introduction, mostly using your wording. Better?

OpenMW_FAQ_Script_01.txt
(12.52 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Last edited by Atahualpa on 17 Oct 2016, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
Allofich

Post by Allofich »

@Atahualpa Yeah, I think that is better. Thanks for listening to my opinion.

"the developers concentrate" should be "the developers are concentrating," though, for more natural English.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Aye, Sir! I corrected the issue in my offline version.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

I decided to simultaneously upload the remaining three parts of the script to not clutter the thread any further. Here they are:

*** Outdated! Better get the new versions from the OP! ***
OpenMW_FAQ.pdf
(204.61 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
OpenMW_FAQ_Script_03.txt
(7.5 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
OpenMW_FAQ_Script_04.txt
(7.19 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
OpenMW_FAQ_Script_05.txt
(7.47 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
Yes, there are about 25 pages to read (minus white space) which is why I even more appreciate any feedback on errors or weird wording.
Last edited by Atahualpa on 17 Oct 2016, 20:38, edited 2 times in total.
lysol

Post by lysol »

The FAQ Part 4 wrote:451: This should make mods using the script extender compatible with OpenMW
Not entirely sure about that really. From what I understand from Zini, he does not want to support MWSE, meaning mods that uses MWSE will not work out of the box. However, the functionality that MWSE gives will be supported by OpenMW's future scripting system. So mods that require MWSE can be converted.

At least this was my interpretation from the last time I remember this was discussed. Is this correct @Zini?

EDIT: Added row number
Last edited by lysol on 16 Oct 2016, 10:01, edited 2 times in total.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Whew! I read through the whole thing haha. I think this is great, very comprehensive. I have a few notes below based on the line numbers of the PDF version, most are language, but some are content. In general, your English is pretty much impeccable so you'd probably notice some of these as you read through the script, but just in case:

122 - This is maybe my opinion, but I don't think we necessarily want to say we support gamepads. My experience is the implementation we have is very lacking to the point of discouraging me from playing. Until we can address actual analogue controls and have a UI designed for gamepad use, I would avoid saying we support them.

208 - awkward wording, would change it to: "... every game mechanic, apart from a few missing AI features"

232 - subject-verb disagreement: "First of all, there are..."

238 - awkward, would change to: "More bugs are likely to show up in the future..."

247 - Rather makes it sound like you're saying something contrary to the first part of the sentence. Would change to: "... but also allows the use of modern..."

283 - I've never really heard "And now?" We would probably say "What now?" but maybe that's just a regional thing.

375 - should be: "Directly using OpenMW with"

377 - I generally hear game content described as an uncountable noun, which means its plural should still be content. This isn't a universal rule for content, because we still talk about the contents of a box etc, but in this case I think content is correct.

408 - subject-verb disagreement, should be: "While the majority of mods meet our requirements, there are a significant number of mods which are completely or partially incompatible with OpenMW."

449 - Maybe this is more of semantics, but are we supporting them in the future? We would like to support the mods that depend on MWSE, but not the extender itself. And we won't sacrifice the integrity of our own coding system to support old Morrowind mods it doesn't seem like. And the other two tools we aren't supporting at all, we're just natively supporting their features, thus making the other tools obsolete. You can do what everyone thinks is right, but my suggestion is to be more specific with your language in this particular section, because we don't want to make it easy to misinterpret.

542 - I'm not sure I've ever heard "bare" used in this way. Depending on the connotations you're going for, I suggest dire or great haha

546 - Perhaps suggest to those people that have some C++ experience but don't quite feel comfortable actually contributing code that they help out with code documentation. We have desperate need of that, especially if we want people to help out post 1.0. That way they will add to our documentation, and familiarize themselves with the code. It's a win-win!

That's all the stuff I noticed! Perhaps if you feel like it, in the non-coder's portion we could also use some help with general user documentation as well. Great job though! Can't wait to watch the videos!
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Thanks for your feedback, lysol and Ravenwing!

I've completely rewritten the MWSE part (based on Zini's post in the latest discussion). I also corrected all the mistakes you've found, Ravenwing, (read some interesting stuff about subject-verb disagreement; German is a bit different here) and added paragraphs regarding user and code documentation to the fifth part. I deleted the sentence about gamepad support though.

Here you go (I archived the text files because of the "5 files per post" limit):

OpenMW_FAQ.pdf
(207.08 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
OpenMW_FAQ.zip
(17.62 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
Last edited by Atahualpa on 17 Oct 2016, 20:39, edited 2 times in total.