The new FAQ video(s)

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.

What format shall the new FAQ on YouTube have?

I need a sleeping aid: Make it a single video! (Approx. 15 to 30 min.)
32%
Man, we are on YouTube! Make it a video series. (Approx. 3 to 8 min each.)
68%

Total votes: 34

psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: The new FAQ video(s)

Post by psi29a »

I know, this one really 'grinds my gears'. My first reaction is: Because I want to, Luddite!
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

psi29a wrote:
raevol wrote:- why are they wasting their time when there's already MSGO/MGE/etc?
Because Morrowind doesn't run on Linux. Linux runs on more than just Intel (x86[-64]) processors, so wine isn't a solution. Ever try to run Morrowind on your ARM-based netbook or tablet? That's why.
Having a FOSS implementation is much more than this.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

It is, I know, I could write a super long list. ;)

I was just being punchy and short. Perhaps the last bit can be reworded to say: "... That's a reason why."

Another one: "Do we really need a reason? Leave us alone, we aren't bothering you." ;)
raevol

Post by raevol »

Hehehe. :D
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

The script for the first three parts is ready now, the script for the first video has been finalised and can be found below. I also updated the OP. As this is a very official matter, we should carefully review my texts -- and forget about the 8-minute mark per video. :roll: :oops:

*** Outdated! Better get the new version from the OP! ***
OpenMW_FAQ.pdf
(125.88 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
OpenMW_FAQ_Script_01.txt
(12.47 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
I'll update this thread every time when a new script part is ready.
Last edited by Atahualpa on 17 Oct 2016, 20:40, edited 2 times in total.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Very nice job, and very ambitious. :) I look forward to see these videos. I couldn't really come up with any suggestions for improvement though, sorry.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Exciting!! I've started looking through the scripts, will try to give you some feedback later! This is awesome though, great work!
Allofich

Post by Allofich »

Thanks for your work, Atahualpa.

I haven't carefully gone over everything, but right at the start,
"Our engine is nearly feature-complete and there will only be a couple of releases until version 1.0."

I don't agree that there are only a couple of releases left, assuming they are released at roughly 2 to 3 month intervals. There are lots of little things left before everything from original Morrowind is implemented, and new bugs/missing features that haven't been noticed yet come up almost daily, so I think it will take longer than that. Still, I think part of the fun of a project like this is seeing and helping it gradually improve.

If scrawl and Zini say there are only a few releases left until 1.0, then nevermind, but it's not what it looks like to me. How about we just say that it's mostly feature complete and the game is playable, and the work is now focused on bug fixing, fine-tuning and putting in the features that remain?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Thanks, guys. :)
Allofich wrote: [...]
I haven't carefully gone over everything, but right at the start,
"Our engine is nearly feature-complete and there will only be a couple of releases until version 1.0."

I don't agree that there are only a couple of releases left, assuming they are released at roughly 2 to 3 month intervals. There are lots of little things left before everything from original Morrowind is implemented, and new bugs/missing features that haven't been noticed yet come up almost daily, so I think it will take longer than that. Still, I think part of the fun of a project like this is seeing and helping it gradually improve.

If scrawl and Zini say there are only a few releases left until 1.0, then nevermind, but it's not what it looks like to me. How about we just say that it's mostly feature complete and the game is playable, and the work is now focused on bug fixing, fine-tuning and putting in the features that remain?
In the second part (which I haven't uploaded yet), I estimated two to three releases until version 1.0 is ready. I assumed three to four months per release and started with September 2016. This calculation left me with a 1.0 release in June 2017 (0.41, 0.42, 1.0) or January 2018 (0.41, 0.42, 0.43, 1.0) respectively. Looking at the amount of issues solved for version 0.41.0, I'm quite confident that this is possible (no guarantee, of course).

If it is more convenient to you, I could simply rewrite the abovementioned passage and leave the release calculation to the second video.
Allofich

Post by Allofich »

This calculation left me with a 1.0 release in June 2017 (0.41, 0.42, 1.0) or January 2018 (0.41, 0.42, 0.43, 1.0) respectively.
Well that sounds a little more reasonable to me than what I thought you were suggesting. I wrote what I did because you can see, for example, that there are still some issues on the bugtracker from over 2 years ago, and plus scrawl felt he needed to distance himself a little (I guess. I don't want to speak for him) and so progress is probably slower now. I've made various minor contributions lately but I don't want to promise that I will continue to do so, this is a hobby after all.

I can see that having an idea of when 1.0 will be out probably makes it more fun to follow the project, rather than it just seeming to slog on indefinitely. But lately I have read a few different posts here with people talking as if 1.0 is soon to be released, which I feel puts unpleasant pressure on the developers, unless they have said that themselves somewhere and I just missed it. Since I've been contributing lately I could feel some of that pressure myself.

So, anyway, I think maybe we should avoid saying how many releases are left. Or at most say "we may have only a few releases left", or something. To some people "a couple" can mean two, but I don't think there will only be two releases before 1.0. This is just my opinion.