The new FAQ video(s)

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.

What format shall the new FAQ on YouTube have?

I need a sleeping aid: Make it a single video! (Approx. 15 to 30 min.)
32%
Man, we are on YouTube! Make it a video series. (Approx. 3 to 8 min each.)
68%

Total votes: 34

Atahualpa

The new FAQ video(s)

Post by Atahualpa »

Please note that the FAQ is not final yet. Answers may be incorrect or misleading.

Hello everyone,

version 0.40.0 has been released which means it is high time to set up the new FAQ video(s). Please vote for your preferred format. I've just started to work on these and would like this thread to be a collection of all the questions we need to cover in the FAQ. Despite the on-going poll, I divided the FAQ into five parts (and three related videos which are left for later).

Updated on 2016/10/17:
- integrated all of Ravenwing's proposals
- reworked the answer to question one in part three
- completely reworked the multiplayer passage in part three
- added a question about gamepad support in part three
- added a question about VR systems support in part three
- reworked MWSE compatibility passage in part four
- reworked OpenMW developers paragraph in part five
- added paragraphs for user as well as code documentation in part five
- updated all answers in this post

Updated on 2016/10/15:
- Added the remaining three parts

Updated on 2016/10/12:
- Added script for part 2
- Adjusted first passage of introduction of part 1

OpenMW_FAQ.pdf
(211.52 KiB) Downloaded 440 times
OpenMW_FAQ_Parts.zip
(18.28 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
[1] The OpenMW Project
  • What exactly is OpenMW?
    Spoiler: Show
  • Why would you reimplement a whole game engine?
  • Isn't this illegal?
  • What are your goals for version 1.0?
  • What are OpenMW's hardware requirements?
  • Do I need a copy of TES III: Morrowind in order to play OpenMW?
  • Is it possible to port my old Morrowind savegames to OpenMW?
  • I just want to play Morrowind. Why would I use OpenMW instead of the vanilla engine?
  • I play Morrowind using tons of mods, MWSE, MGE, and MGSO. Why would I switch to your engine?
  • I want to mod Morrowind. What advantages does OpenMW provide for modders?
  • I want to develop a game based on the OpenMW engine. Is this possible, and am I allowed to sell my game in the end?
[2] Project Status
  • You've just released version 0.40.0. Another 60 releases to go until version 1.0?
  • Is Morrowind currently playable on OpenMW?
  • What exactly keeps you from releasing version 1.0?
  • OpenMW seems to be rather complete. When do you expect version 1.0 to arrive?
  • Will there be a beta test or something like that?
[3] The Engine's Potential & Limitations
  • Okay, let us assume that version 1.0 has been released. What now?
  • Hold on a moment! Do you plan to add any content to the original game?
  • I like vanilla Morrowind quite a bit. Will I be able to play Morrowind true to the original game in the future?
  • What can modders expect from OpenMW and OpenMW-CS?
  • Do game developers have to start their games from scratch?
  • Give me multiplayer!
  • Is OpenMW able to run the Xbox version of Morrowind?
  • Does OpenMW support gamepads?
  • What about Virtual Reality systems like Oculus Rift? Will they be supported?
  • Is it possible to play Morrowind on Android using OpenMW?
  • What about other platform support in general?
  • Why does OpenMW not support all TES games?
[4] Mod Compatibility
  • I use some mods with Morrowind. Well, dozens, to be honest. Will they play on OpenMW?
  • I have installed a normal mod which works in the vanilla game but not in OpenMW. What's wrong there?
  • I checked your Mod Compatibility page but it only includes a small number of mods. Where is the rest?
  • What about utilities like MWSE, MGE XE, or MCP? Will OpenMW never support these?
  • What about MGSO?
  • How does OpenMW handle the load order of my setup?
  • What about registering .bsa archives in OpenMW?
[5] How To Contribute
  • How can I contribute to your project?
  • Are there any further tasks which are not directly bound to OpenMW?
  • Is there a possibility to help you out in a financial way?

Best regards,

Atahualpa
Last edited by Atahualpa on 17 Oct 2016, 20:33, edited 7 times in total.
raevol

Re: The new FAQ video(s)

Post by raevol »

I'd do a series, but I think it would work either way. Don't over-commit yourself on work to do. :D
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

I didn't explicitly state that but you are welcome to add other questions you'd like to see in the FAQ. And please let me know about your opinion on the existing ones. -- I'll gradually add answers to every single question in the opening post, and mark finished questions.

Oh, and please don't aks for questions regarding installation instructions and trouble-shooting. These will be handled later.
raevol wrote:I'd do a series, but I think it would work either way. Don't over-commit yourself on work to do. :D
We will see. I'd personally prefer a series because of the structure it can provide. For each video, I'd go for a short introduction, the main part, and an ending screen with links to the next, previous, and other videos of the series.
jirka642

Post by jirka642 »

If you do series, it will be easier to update at later time. For example: After there is 1.0 release, the [Project Status] video could be updated without needing to touch rest of videos...
weedfreak

Post by weedfreak »

Maybe I am missing something here, but if you are answering the questions in the first post, and adding any more, what is the point of making video's of them? The list of FAQ's and answers can live on the wiki and in the documentation and updating is just a matter of text editing.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

*The following text is about the optimal FAQ (in my opinion)*

We have two main FAQ sections: one at our homepage and one at our YouTube channel. The former aims for completeness, is easy to update, and also covers common troubles with installing the game or typical buggy behaviour in certain situations.
The second FAQ is an easy-to-understand version of the first one, skipping some of the technical babble and appropriately illustrating the narrative. It focuses on users who just learned about or aren't involved with OpenMW and may have small questions about our engine. It is much easier for them to watch a video and leave a comment when their question isn't covered in the video than to find out about our forums, register there, open a new thread and be affronted by forum members who got tired of answering the same question over and over again. We can also take questions from the YouTube comments to our written FAQ.
Trust me, I get the same questions over and over again on our YouTube channel. Maybe we can clear things up with an up-to-date FAQ video.

I hope that makes sense in any way.

Oh, and of course the answers collected in this thread will somehow go to our written FAQ.
raevol

Post by raevol »

I think the 3 most common questions I see on Reddit are:

- multiplayer
- is it done?
- why are they wasting their time when there's already MSGO/MGE/etc?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

raevol wrote:- why are they wasting their time when there's already MSGO/MGE/etc?
Because Morrowind doesn't run on Linux. Linux runs on more than just Intel (x86[-64]) processors, so wine isn't a solution. Ever try to run Morrowind on your ARM-based netbook or tablet? That's why.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Thanks for the input, you both. I've already had those questions in mind (see list) but I'll add raevol's MGSO/MGE question to the list. Opening post updated.
raevol

Post by raevol »

psi29a wrote:Because Morrowind doesn't run on Linux. Linux runs on more than just Intel (x86[-64]) processors, so wine isn't a solution. Ever try to run Morrowind on your ARM-based netbook or tablet? That's why.
I think you're just expanding on what I said, but just to clarify, I know these reasons, I was just posting that that is a common question outside of this project.